CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1216470
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:52:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Cold Ashby
National Grid Reference:
SP 65610 76269

Details

COLD ASHBY CHURCH LANE SP67NE (South side) 8/13 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Denis)

GV II*

Church. C12 to C14, restored c.1840, Regular coursed and square coursed lias with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: South elevation of 2-window range of 2-light square-headed windows, with square-headed south door between. The north elevation has no windows. 3-light east window has Intersecting tracery. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave south elevation of 4-window range at lower level, from left to right: 2-light window with C14 tracery, 3-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery, 2-light window with Y-tracery and 2-light window with square head. Clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light windows; that to left has a wood mullion, transom and lintel. Remains of sundial to right. South porch, reputed c.1696, has inner door under 4-centred arch with spandrels decorated with quatrefoils; gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Nave north elevation of one-window range at lower level of 2-light C14 window. Clerestory of 2-window range of 2-light windows. 2 large buttresses with slated copings to left. Shallow-pitched nave roof has ashlar gable parapets. C19 vestry to right has ashlar gable parapets and lean-to roof with plain tile covering. West tower of three stages with 2-light west window in lower stage with small arch-headed door below. On south face a large buttress projection houses staircase. 4-light bellchamber openings with transoms to each face of third stage. Castellated parapet with short pinnacles at corners. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch has plain responds. Perpendicular roof structure to nave and chancel with moulded tie beams in the nave. Stepped and chamfered tower arch partially visible behind C19 organ gallery at west end of the nave. North door opening is probably C19. C19 and C20 stained glass to all chancel windows, north nave and south-east nave windows. Monuments: Late C18 black oval tablet on north wall of chancel to Elizabeth Castle and Elizabeth Markham. Several C19 marble tablets. Perpendicular octagonal font on a panelled stem with fluerons to the underside of the bowl. Hatchment to north wall of nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.153).

Listing NGR: SP6561076269

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 153

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15310/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].