CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1216608
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:35:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Somerton
National Grid Reference:
TG 47549 19547

Details

TG 41 NE SOMERTON WEST SOMERTON

2/45 Church of St. Mary 25.9.62

- II* Parish church. West tower and nave c.1200, the former with C14 belfry stage. Nave remodelled early C14. Chancel C15. Restoration 1867. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick repairs. Thatched nave roof and slated chancel. 3 stage tower, lower 2 stages are circular. Restored 2-light C14 west window : trefoil-headed lights supporting quatrefoil. Brick lancet to ringing chamber with pointed head and brick relieving arch. String course below octagonal belfry stage. Single lancets to each facet, alternatively blocked with knapped flint. Plain brick parapet. Diagonal west nave buttresses. Kneelers at west gable of ashlar bearing rosettes and carved heads. Blocked arched south door. 3 2-light late C13 Y windows to south nave and one C18 sloping brick buttress, slated. Above windows is a deep pantiled string course. This pattern similar to north except only 2 windows : one of 2 lights and Y tracery as before. The other 2-lights and cusped under square head. Gabled north porch has wave moulded entrance arch with one order engaged columns. Thatched roof. Chancel supported by flushwork diagonal east buttresses and stepped side buttresses framing C19 Perpendicular windows. 2 of 3 lights each to flanks, one of 5 lights to east. Low priests door to north with 2 orders of wave mouldings. Interior. C14 chamfered and hollow chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds with capitals. Arched rere arches to north and south nave doorways. Mid C14 chancel arch has concave fluting to engaged columns, high polygonal bases and star capitals, all no doubt by a mason who worked in the choir at Ely c.1328- 35. The jambs themselves are wave moulded and restored. Plain C14 octagonal font. Late C14 wall paintings in nave. North wall has entry into Jerusalem, Flagellation and Resurrection, all now badly worn. On south side St. Christopher and large scene of Day of Judgement. C19 boarded scissor braced nave and chancel roofs. C15 hexagonal pulpit with concave sides, the edges moulded and each panel carrying ogee tracery. One facet open to allow entry via C19 stairs, another, facing wall, is blank. Moulded top rail. Plinth also C19. Reduced C15 chancel screen of 1½ bays each side of cusped ogee opening. 2 lozenge traceried dado panels. Above are 2-light ogeed tracery lights and panel tracery below top rail. Fleur-de-lys cresting to top rail.

Listing NGR: TG4754919547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402082
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12644/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].