PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1216617
Date first listed:
04-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, GREENHAYES

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216617.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, GREENHAYES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Okeford Fitzpaine
National Grid Reference:
ST 80732 10816

Details

OKEFORD FITZPAINE GREENHAYES (EAST SIDE) ST 8010

15/130 Parish Church of St Andrew 4.9.60 GV II* Parish church; west tower partially Cl4; rest of tower and parts of nave and aisles C15; Chancel, vestry and extensive general restoration 1865. 1865 work by J Hicks. Coursed rubble, squared coursed rubble and ashlar. Gable ended tile roof with stone copings. Partially in the 'perpendicular' and partially in the 'decorated' style. West tower of 2 stages separated by string course with large south rectangular vice turret, diagonal weathered 6 stage buttresses and embattled parapet. Recessed west window of 3-lights under 2-centred bead with reticulated tracery. Loops to south and north. Second stage has 2-light square headed 'perpendicular' windows. North and south chancel windows of 2 and 3 lights with timing tracery. East chancel window of 5 lights under 2-centred head with geometic tracery under 2-centred head with label stops. Other windows 'perpendicular' of 2 and 3-lights under 2-centred and flat heads with stopped labels. Square set stager buttresses between most windows. North porch has diagonal buttresses and gabled roof. Moulded 2-centred arch with label bearing date 1866. Internally the north and south arcades are of 4 bays, with 4-centred moulded arches. Piers with 4 attached shafts with moulded capitals and polygonal bases. 2-centred tower arch marked by 2 smaller 2 centred arches on massive octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Tapering barrel vault to west window. Chancel arch is 2-centred with Cl9 moulded, carved capitals. Nave, south and ninth aisles have C19 waggon roofs with carved bosses. Chancel has barrel roof with carved bosses supported on carved angel corbels. Restored Cl5 stone pulpit with niches containing figures flanked by pinnacled standards. North aisle has Cl7 pews, some with arcade carving. Font C.1866 supported on carved angels. Some early glass in north aisle. Other fittings mainly C19. Cl7, C18 and Cl9 monumnts. C19 stone curving by Boulton and wood carving by Grassby. "RCHM, Dorset, vol III", pp 200-202; Newman J and Pevsner N, "The Buildings of England; Dorset", Penguin 1972, pp 306-307; Brocklebank " Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-188O". Dovecote, 1979, pp 56-7.



Listing NGR: ST8073210816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102630
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 200-202
Brocklebank, J , Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, (1979), 56-57
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 306-307

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10651/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].