ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1217774
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1970
Statutory Address:
ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY, 1, KENSINGTON GORE SW7

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:20:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY, 1, KENSINGTON GORE SW7

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26759 79634

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012

TQ 2679 NE 85/20 14.1.70

CITY OF WESTMINSTER KENSINGTON GORE, SW7 No 1 (Royal Geographical Society).

GV II*

Mansion, now headquarters of learned society. 1874-5, by Richard Norman Shaw for William and Alice Lowther; extension of 1928-30 by G. L. Kennedy and F. B. Nightingale for Royal Geographical Society. Red brick with gauged and rubbed brick dressings; gabled and hipped plain tile roofs; tall fluted brick stacks. Complex half-H plan with porch to right of central hall and former stable range projecting from wing to left. Queen Anne style. Complex facade of 2 storeys and attic, with 3 main bays to centre flanked by wings with hipped roofs. Segmental arches and second-floor flat arches over cross windows with leaded lights. Two pedimented bays to centre, breaking through coved cornice; wing to right has semi-circular arched doorway, and first-floor balcony with rendered coving from which tall pedimented dormer breaks through coved cornice of hipped roof; wing to left dominated by tall stacks breaking through cover cornice of hipped roof. Whole composition is also articulated by string courses broken by pilasters, mostly to dormer and bay windows. Similar but simpler 2-storey wing to left including former stables to far left with pedi- mented dormer windows and blind oculi. Rear and side elevations in similar style, with tall pedimented dormers surmounting canted bay windows and lateral stack to recessed bay of rear elevation. Extension of 1928-30 to left, has one-storey main elevations with tripartite window to canted return and statues of Shackleton by S. Sergeant Jagger (c.1932) and Dr Livingstone by T. B. Huxley- Jones (c.1953) set in classical stone niches. Interior: fine Queen Anne interiors with moulded cornices, classical fireplaces and panelled doors set in eared and pedimented architraves. Principal rooms include Hall with panelled dado, walnut-beamed ceiling and bolection-panelled overmantle over classical fireplace with tiles painted with coats of arms of Lowther family by Alice Lowther; large semi-circular archway to stair-hall to right with panelled dado and fine turned-baluster staircase rising above small former Flower Room; Map Room, former Drawing Room to rear of hall has decorative plaster frieze and coffered ceiling with decorative plaster spandrels. 1928- 30 extension has large lecture room and Soanian-style ambulatory. Lowther Lodge was one of the earliest and most influential works in the Queen Anne style, being hailed as an 'artistic landmark' in the Building News of 1875. (M. Girovard, Sweetness and Light, 1977; A. Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, 1976; Survey of London, Vol.38.

Listing NGR: TQ2675979634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412995
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M, Sweetness And Light, the Queen Anne Movement 1860 -1900, (1977 )
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976)
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Northern Kensington: Volume 37, , Vol. 38, (1973)
'Building News' in Building News, (1875)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12254/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].