ROYAL FORT AND ATTACHED FRONT STEP RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1218262
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
ROYAL FORT AND ATTACHED FRONT STEP RAILINGS, TYNDALLS AVENUE, BS8 1UH

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL FORT AND ATTACHED FRONT STEP RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218262.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:29:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL FORT AND ATTACHED FRONT STEP RAILINGS, TYNDALLS AVENUE, BS8 1UH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58283 73372

Details

ST 5873 SW, 901-1/10/304

BRISTOL, TYNDALL'S AVENUE (South West side), Royal Fort and attached front step railings

(Formerly Listed as: TYNDALL'S PARK Royal Fort House)

08.01.59

I

House, now university department. 1758-61. By James Bridges. For Thomas Tyndall. Built by Thomas Paty; plasterwork by Thomas Stocking; wood carving by Thomas Paty. Limestone ashlar with 4 ridge stacks and a slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 7-window range N front, 5-window ranges to S and W fronts. 3 symmetrical facades linked by a plat band and first-floor sill band, modillion cornice and parapet. Attached to the E is the pre-existing house, converted to a service block. N entrance front has a projecting 3-window centre under a blind balustrade, a doorway with attached Ionic columns to an entablature and pediment, fanlight and 6-panel door. Semicircular-arched middle first-floor windows linked by an impost band, and second-floor windows with 5 stepped voussoirs. 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-panes to the second floor. The W front has a pedimented centre broken forward with a rusticated ground floor, a finely-carved tympanum and balustrades each side. Semicircular ground-floor arches to the centre contain flat-headed windows, with 6/9-pane ground-floor sashes, eared architraves on the first floor with outer cornices and inner pediments to 6/6-pane sashes, and architraves on the second floor, with corner ears to the centre, to 3/3-pane sashes. S front has a projecting centre containing a canted, full-height bay with a balustrade and rusticated ground floor. Outer doorways have architraves, moulded consoles to pediments and 9-pane glazed doors, with fine rocaille carving over the heads. Venetian windows above with triple keys, semicircular-arched ground-floor windows to the bay, 5 stepped voussoirs above with carved female keys, all with 6/6-pane sashes, and 3/3-pane sashes to the third floor. Attached to the E side is the earlier house, rendered with a slate mansard. A linking late C18 two-storey; 2-window range with parapet and bowed sides has French windows and 6/6-pane first-floor sashes. Connects with an early C19 three-storey; 5-window range house to the right. Irregular fenestration, including a right-of-centre Venetian window, 6/6-pane sashes and second-floor casements.

INTERIOR: a very fine and complete scheme of interior decoration, with much excellent Rococo and Classical plasterwork, wood carving, and good fireplaces. Entrance hall and central passage flagged with slate and marble, has a Doric frieze with metopes; screen of 3 semicircular arches with fluted fronts and panelled soffits, and flanking niches and rocaille corbels. Stair hall to the left has an elliptical arch with carved soffit, and plaster vines to each side, with a good ceiling rose of 3 putti; fine open-well stair has a moulded soffit, curtail, and sinuous wrought-iron balusters. Dining room has an exceptional rocaille ceiling, marble fireplace, and overmantel and door surround of rocaille wood carving, including entwined door columns. Drawing room has a similar ceiling, and a marble fireplace with carved corbels possibly of Thomas and Alicia Tyndall. Panelled shutters, 6-panel doors.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front steps, wrought-iron railings and lamp holders, with snuffers. A very fine design on an exposed site, with 3 good elevations. Attribution of the design and execution is not certain, and the 3 facades may have been the work of separate architects. The grounds were landscaped by Humphry Repton in early C19. The interior is in good condition, and remains '...the best eighteenth-century domestic interior to survive in the city' (Gomme).

(Gomme, A., Jenner, M. and Little, B.: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 155; Mowl, T.: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N.: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 418).

Listing NGR: ST5828373372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 155
Mowl, T, To Build a Second City, (1991)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 418

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04644/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cemlyn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].