PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1218424
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE, ST LUKE'S ROAD
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE, WARREN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218424.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 17:49:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE, ST LUKE'S ROAD
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST LUKE, WARREN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91303 63948

Details

TORQUAY

SX9163 ST LUKE'S ROAD 885-1/17/231 (West side) 14/02/72 Parish Church of St Luke (Formerly Listed as: ST LUKE'S ROAD Church of St Luke)

GV II*

Parish church. 1863, to the designs of A Blomfield; restoration after fire damage in 1964. Local grey uncoursed limestone rubble; freestone dressings, some banded with limestone; slate roofs. Geometric Decorated style. PLAN: Nave; chancel with polygonal apse; 5-bay north and south aisles; north-west tower incorporating porch; west end narthex; east end church hall at right-angles to nave and linked to main body of church. EXTERIOR: Robust and unconventional, particularly the west end. 2-light west window to nave with traceried roundel above and common hoodmould. West end narthex above battered basement level has 2-light windows piercing an arcade on columns with carved capitals. Narthex entered via steps and porch on south side or via tower on north side. 3-stage tower with octagonal belfry stage and stone spire with lucarnes. North side of tower has steps up to open arcaded 4-sided porch with pyramidal slate roof, the arcade with cylindrical columns and carved capitals; paired plank doors. North and south aisles with 5 gabled bays, the north aisle (show front) with buttresses supporting detached columns with carved capitals and carved symbols of the evangelists. North-east gabled porch with moulded 2-centred arched doorway with a carved niche in the gable. Polygonal east end with tall one-light windows with traceried heads. A link block containing a trefoil-headed doorway at the north-east gives access to the gable-ended hall which has a stack with stone shaft at the south end and a ribbon of 6 stone mullioned windows below a sexafoil roundel with common voussoirs. INTERIOR: Good example of late C19 enriched interior, very complete although some of the painted decoration was restored after the 1964 fire. Moulded chancel arch on short columns with carved angel corbels and stiff-leaf capitals. 5-bay arcade with unusual short cast-iron columns on deep plinths. The columns have bead-moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. 6-bay ceiled, keeled wagon roof to nave with moulded ribs springing from corbels. Aisle roofed in bays, each a keeled, ceiled wagon with chamfered ribs. Keeled ceiled wagon roof to chancel with moulded ribs forming panels, all lavishly painted in 1870 by Heaton Butler and Bayne (Pevsner). Chancel and sanctuary walls entirely covered with stencil and freehand paintings with remains of (repaired) sgraffito with mosaic roundels. Gabled stone reredos with carved scene in deep relief of the Last Supper. Good floor tiling; sedilia; brass and wrought upper sanctuary rail; local marble chancel screen with blind white Italian marble arcading with brass rails and gates. Alabaster and local marble drum pulpit with pierced traceried openings. The nave fittings include a good High Victorian font on raised marble paving. Square font with corner shafts, the stone inlaid with marble with carved symbols in roundels. West end gallery on slender iron columns with a stout timber front with diagonal bracing. STAINED GLASS includes a fine Heaton Butler and Bayne west window. Sanctuary windows said to be by same firm (Pevsner). Small window by Kempe firm in the narthex. (Brooks C: Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive: 48 Park St. Crediton; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.849).

Listing NGR: SX9130363948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390783
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brooks, C, Cherry, M, Cox, J , Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 849
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 849

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14194/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].