This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1219725



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Brading

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 310149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRADING SZ58NE WEST LANE 1352-0/1/106 Nunwell House 21/07/51 GV II*

Great house. original part built from 1607 onwards by Sir John Oglander, an E-shaped house which comprizes the centre portion of the present building and the south half of the west wing. In 1716 William Oglander rebuilt the east wing except for the south part and the central block was remodelled and refaced at this time. Sir William Oglander, Sir John's great grandson, (1767-1806) added the north end of the west wing, the south end of the east wing and the bay in the centre of the east front and refaced most of the house in brick with grey headers. Late C19 loggia to south of east wing and dining room extension of 1896 and billiard room extension of 1906 to north of east wing. Former brewhouse (now tea and gift shop) C18 and service courtyard early C19. Central block refronted in c1716. Hung with red mathematical tiles in Flemish bond. Isle of Wight stone plinth, window dressings and doorcase. Slate roof. 2 storeys attics and basement. 5 window. wooden dentilled eaves cornice. 3 flat roofed dormers with casement window. Windows have stone surrounds with keystones, 1st floor windows have wide glazing bars, ground floor has wooden cross windows. Central stone doorcase with rusticated round-headed surround with keystone cornice and capitals. Curved double door with 6-fielded panels in all. South part of west wing is early C17. 2 storeys 2 windows in east elevation. West elevation of Isle of Wight stone rubble with red brick dressings and slate roof. Deep plinth. Cross-shaped windows to 1st floor and plain mullioned windows to ground floor. South elevation refaced in early C19 red brick in Flemish bond. 1st floor has 3-light modern mullioned and transomed window and 2nd floor mullioned and transomed windows. East elevation has C17 brickwork in English bond and stone quoins. C18 rainwater head. Stone plaque with shield of the Aulmer family and their motto "Hallelujah". Ground floor has early C17 4-light stone ovolo moulded mullioned window with brick relieving arch. North part of west wing is late C17 or early C18. Built of stone rubble with red brick dressings. Slate roof with end brick chimneystacks. Stone coping with kneelers. 3 storeys and attics 3 windows. 2 modern cambered dormers. Cross mullioned windows to upper floors. Plain mullioned windows to ground floor, the right side are with cambered head lining. Mullioned windows to north elevation. East wing appears mainly C18 but with late C19 addition. Principal or east front black brick in header bond with red brick dressings and stone bands between floors. Slate roof and 3 brick chimneystacks. 3 storeys, 7 bays. Parapet with 4 ball finials, stone moulded cornice and bands between floors. The central feature is a 3-light canted bay through all floors. 2nd floor has 12-paned sashes with wide glazing bars, 1st floor has 12 pane sashes with narrower glazing bars and ground floor has 18 pane sashes with narrow glazing bars. 1st floor French windows with iron balconette and ground floor French window. Attached to south is a late C19 loggia of brick, its east elevation having central pediment and round-headed doorcase with impost blocks and 2 sashes, the southern elevation having 2 stone Tuscan columns and 2 half columns. Stone coping to parapet and 4 ball finials. Attached to the south end of the east wing is a sundial. West elevation has a late C19 2 storey oriel window with canted stone bay and section of balustrading. To north of east wing is Dining Room extension of 1896. 1 storey red brick with parapet with stone coping having 2 ball finials. One Venetian window. To north of this is Billiard Room of 1906. 1 storey red brick. Principal or north front has central projecting pedimental gable rising through panelled parapet with obelisk finials at ends. Central round-headed doorcase with keystone. Above is a stone shield with the motto of the Oglander family. 2 cambered 12-pane sashes. East front has pilasters and ball finials to parapet. One cambered 12-pane sash. To north is former Brewhouse (now tea and gift shop) Ground floor C18 stone rubble with plinth, 1st floor early C19 brickwork in Flemish bond. Slate roof 2 casement windows. C18 flush panelled door. To the west a curved brick wall leads to early C19 outbuildings including coal house in English bond brickwork. Interior of Central Block has Hall with early C18 fielded panelling with dado rails and stone fireplace with eaved architrave and plastered ceiling with octagonal shaped motifs. 1st floor has Equerries room with early C17 oak panelling and marble fireplace. Several C18 6-fielded panelled doors to 1st floor, fireplace with early C19 basket grate and 2-panelled door. Through purlin roof construction. South part of west wing has early C17 dogleg staircase with handrail and midrail and square newel post with knop. C17 panelling. The King's Room is where Charles I is reputed to have stayed but the furnishings are of a more recent date. North part of west wing has late C17 well staircase with corner posts, turned balusters to lower floors and splat balusters to attic storey, through purlin roof and bedroom with late C17 or early C18 unusual deeply carved cornice with palmette and upside down swags supported on 6 heraldic shields. Fireplace with eaved architrave and early C19 basket grate. East wing has c1716 well staircase with ramped handrail, columned newel posts and 3 turned balusters to each step with scrolled tread ends with triglyphs, dado panelling. Dining Room has late C18 fireplace with central panel of reclining female with cupids and frieze of swags with urns in the corner. Eaved architrave. 6-panelled mahogany doors. Library has late C18 marble fireplace with central oval panel flanked by cherubs, frieze of swags and urn paterae. Tapering pilasters. Elaborate late C18 plastered ceiling with floral baskets, floral swags and lyres in the corners, superimposed with the snake and staff of Aesculaepius. Cornice has triglyphs, paterae and ovolo moulding. Door surrounds have quivers, swags and paterae. 2 fine quality 6-panelled doors. Morning Room has early C18 panelling, 6-fielded panelled door and a-marble fireplace with eared architrave, shell and swag frieze and fine late C18 or early C19 basket grate. The Dining Room of 1896 has a resited late C18 marble fireplace having panel with reclining female figure with 2 doves. Kitchen has wide chamfered beam with run out stops. The cellars have spine beam with lambs tongue stops. The Music Room/Billiard Room has a marble fireplace and square louvred light. Former brewhouse has late C18 cambered arched fireplace and cambered bread oven with iron door. This house is one of the Domesday Manors, one of the most notable houses on the Isle of Wight and home of the Oglander family from c1100 to c1980 of whom the most famous was Sir John Oglander the diarist. (Winter CWR:The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight:119-126; Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of Wight :7556) .

Listing NGR: SZ5955687409

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 75-76
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight119-126
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 23 Isle of Wight,

National Grid Reference: SZ 59556 87409


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 03:38:20.

End of official listing