Parish Church of St. Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St. Mary, Church Lane, Speen, RG14 1SA


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 06:31:57.


Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St. Mary, Church Lane, Speen, RG14 1SA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 45518 67830


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/01/2020

SU 46NE 7/21

SPEEN Church Lane Parish Church of St. Mary

(Formerly listed under SPEEN LANE)



Parish Church. C14; extensively re-built in 1860 and 1878. Flint with Bath stone and chalk dressings and tiled roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north and south porches, and vestries. C14 style with hood moulds and carved stops throughout.

West tower of three storeys with angle buttresses to first stage and newel turret rising to second stage in north-east corner. West door with two-light window above. Bell stage with two-light openings, with separate hood moulds on all faces; set back behind larger arch with plate tracery. Corbelled parapet and pyramidal cap.

Nave. West end with central buttress with one two-light window to either side and rose window in gable above. South door with chamfered arch and hood mould. Gabled south porch, with cross on apex; arched entrance and one-light openings on east and west sides. Four, two-, three- and four-light windows to east with three buttresses. Cross on gable end.

Chancel with two paired two-light windows to south with buttresses between. East window of five-lights with geometrical tracery. Diagonal buttresses to east and cross on gable. North aisle with three-light window with flowing tracery to west of north door and gabled timber porch with decorated barge boards. Probably re-set C14 three-light window with flowing tracery to east. Diagonal buttresses and three-light window with flowing tracery at east end.

Vestry to north of north aisle with two-light window with flowing tracery. Vestry to north of chancel with door to north and two-light window to east.

Interior. C14 north arcade with three double chamfered arches resting on circular piers with moulded capitals. Chamfered north chapel anti chancel arches. Mainly C19 roofs. Waggon roof over chancel with cusped panels and carved and coloured bosses over altar. Probably re-used C16 panelling in north aisle chapel with linenfolds, Coats of Arms and grotesques. Possible sounding board from Jacobean pulpit, in north aisle. All other fittings C19.

Good monuments. Two chest tombs with effigies in chancel; that to John Baptiste Castillion of 1597 in stone, and that to Lady Elizabeth Castillion of 1603 in alabaster. Other monuments include that by Johnathan Hicks for himself and his wife of 1713; that to William Craven and his mother of 1717: that to Thomas Wyld and his son, by Bacon, of 1791; that to Margrave of Anspach of 1806 by Canova and that to William Brinton of 1823 by Chantrey.

Listing NGR: SU4551867830


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 107-108
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 224
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00590/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James A Irving. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].