GLYNDE PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1221546

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1952

Statutory Address: GLYNDE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLYNDE PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:45:28.

Location

Statutory Address: GLYNDE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Glynde

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ 45650 09356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLYNDE 1. 5206 Glynde Place TQ 4509 31/527 17.3.52.

I

2. This estate has not been sold since the Conquest but has passed several times through the female line. The mansion was built by William Morley in 1569 and occupied by the Morley family until 1679 when it passed by marriage to the Trevors. It was altered and enlarged between 1755 and 1760 by John Morrise of Lewes, Builder, for Dr Richard Trevor, who was Bishop of Durham from 1752-1771. Later it passed to the Brands, and in the late C19 was occupied by Henry B W Brand, Viscount Hampden, who was Speaker of the House of Commons from 1872-1884 and died in 1892. The house forms a complete courtyard of 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement. But only the west, north and south sides date from the C16. The east side was filled in during the C18. The whole building is faced with flints with stone quoins. Parapet. Stone slate roof. Originally casement windows with stone mullions and transoms, some of which have been altered to sash windows with glazing bars intact. West front The main entrance was originally in the west front. This has 7 windows, now all sashes except the northernmost window. It has 5 projections with stone quoins, the central and end ones being gabled with attic windows, the others chimney breasts with red brick stacks. In the centre is a 4-centred stone carriage archway with dripstone and cartouche over. The porch on the inner side of the arch has the date 1569 and the initials WM over it. North front The north front has 9 windows, all sashes except at the east end. Gable at the east end. Gabled projection of 2 windows to the west of this. Then flint and brick chimney breast. Then a C18 bay of 3 windows on both floors. Three stone 4-centred doorways. South front The south front has 6 windows all casements. Projection with 2 gables and another gable at the east end. On this side the roof of the house is of Horsham slabs. East front Today the entrance or principal front faces east. This, except the ends which formed the terminals of the north and south wings dates from 1755-60 and was presumably designed by John Morris, but is in matching style to the original portions and if it originally had sash windows, these have been altered to casements in the C19. Seven windows. The parapet has been mostly rebuilt in red brick and grey headers. In the centre and at each end is a shaped gable, the centre one of red brick. Beneath the central gable is a projection with stone quoins, containing a round-headed stone doorway at the head of 6 steps. Above the doorway are a cartouche, one window on the first floor and blocked window in the gable. On the inner side of each end gable is chimney breast and inside this a curved bay window of 2 tiers of 6 lights on both floors. Within the courtyard each side has a central projection with a gable over, the north and south ones being wide but only slightly projecting, the east and west ones narrower but projecting farhter to form porches. The centre of the east wing is occupied by an C18 hall on ground floor with 2 pairs of wooden Doric columns at each end and a gallery over. C17 staircase and panelling.

Listing NGR: TQ4565009356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 292943

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

End of official listing