SEAHAM HALL HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1221665
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
SEAHAM HALL HOTEL, B1287

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEAHAM HALL HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:56:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEAHAM HALL HOTEL, B1287

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42063 50560

Details

NE 45 SW B1287

2/50 (South Side, Off) SEAHAM HALL HOTEL

II

Country house, now a hotel. 1791-2 for Sir Ralph Milbanke; 1861 additions by Lewis Vulliamy for Frances, Lady Londonderry. Incised rendered rubble painted white. Welsh slate roofs. Rendered and pebble-dashed chimneys. Classical style. Long 2-storey garden front: symmetrical 9-bay centre with projecting bay at left; added flanking wings, 6 bays at left and 3 bays at right. Continuous plinth and band between storeys painted black. Replaced doors and mainly 6-and 12-pane sashes. 9-bay section: tall projecting gabled centre bay with 2-storey canted bay window and round-headed light in wood open-pedimented gable; flanking sections, each with a central square bay window on ground floor; roof with coped gables. Bay at left has tripartite window on ground floor and hipped roof behind parapet. Wing at left has altered doorway and roof with coped left gable. Wing at right has end doors; similar square bay window, with narrower projecting bay under hipped roof above; eaves cornice and hipped main roof. Conjoined square-plan ridge stacks. 2-storey, 9-bay block on centre rear. Entrance front : projecting 3-bay centre with 6-panel double door behind tetrastyle Tuscan portico; band, sunk panels and string between storeys; 12-pane sashes and C20 casements except for enlongated sashes on ground floor right; eaves cornice and low-pitched hipped roof with ridge stacks. Flanking irregular 2-storey ranges with scattered sashes and hipped roofs. Interior much altered. Original upstairs Drawing Room, in which Lord Byron was married, retains marble chimney-piece, 6-panel doors in architraves and enriched cornice. Other rooms by Vulliamy include: Entrance Hall with recessed round-arched wall panels; large Staircase Hall has cantilevered staircase and landing rails with ornamental cast-iron balusters, round corridor archways, modillion cornice and glazed ceiling; Dining Boom and Drawing Room with moulded skirtings, dado rails, 6-panel doors and enriched cornices; Drawing Room retains wood chimney-piece with barley-sugar columns. Historical note: in the upstairs Drawing Room, on 2nd January 1815, Lord Byron married Anne Isabella Milbanke; "The Siege of Corinth" and part of "The Hebrew Melodies" were written at Seaham Hall. (H.L. Robson, "Byron, the I.iilbankes and Seaham Village", Antiquities of Sunderland, Vol. XXV, 1970-73).

Listing NGR: NZ4206350560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413521
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robson, H L , Antiquities of Sunderland, (1973)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].