CHURCH OF ST JULITTA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JULITTA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222833.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:44:12.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JULITTA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Juliot
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 12902 91221
SX 19 SW
2/120 Church of St Julitta
Parish church. Circa C15 south porch and nave. North aisle and tower circa 1870-72
dating from the restoration by Thomas Hardy.
South porch and nave of granite ashlar with moulded plinth. North aisle and tower of
local stone rubble with brick dressings. Slate roof. Prior to the 1870's, the
church comprised a nave and chancel, west tower, north transept, south aisle and
south porch. The chronological development of the earlier church is uncertain as
much of the fabric was rebuilt during the C19 restoration leaving only the C15 south
porch and south aisle unaltered. In 1867, the Dorchester architect, John Hicks, was
commissioned to survey the church which had fallen into a state of extreme
dilapidation. Hicks however died early in 1869 with work unstarted and the
commission fell to his successor G.R. Crickmay. Thomas Hardy, who had been working
in Hicks's Dorchester office, was persuaded by Crickmay to take plans and
particulars of the church and made the journey down to St Juliot which was to change
his life and influence much of his late poetry. The restoration which was fairly
severe, entailed the demolition of the nave and chancel which was replaced by the
present smaller north aisle, the demolition of the north transept and the rebuilding
of the west tower. Only the south aisle and south porch remained relatively
unaltered. The south aisle being remodelled to form present nave and chancel.
Sketches by Thomas Hardy and Emma Gifford (later Emma Hardy) and Polsue's description
indicate that a fine set of circa C15 carved bench ends, screen and pulpit were
removed during the restoration.
Unbuttressed C19 tower of 3 stages at west end of north aisle; battlemented parapet
with crocketted finials and stair turret. Three light west window and 2-light belfry
openings with slate louvers. In the C19 north aisle, two one-light cusped windows
flank two C19 two-light windows with a 2-light C19 east window in'2-centred arched
opening. The chancel has a 4-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and the nave
four 3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped heads and hoodmoulds in 4-centred
arches. The fine C15 south porch has a battlement parapet with a moulded 4-centred
arch. The roof is of high quality comprising a granite waggon roof with 3 chamfered
ribs, carved granite wall plate and bosses. The south door has a 2-centred moulded
arch with very hollow chamfers and bar and run-out stops.
Interior Nave and chancel (originally south aisle); unceiled circa C15 waggon roof
with moulded ribs, carved wall plate partly renewed on south side and carved bosses.
Two-centred moulded tower arch. The circa C15 arcade was reduced by one bay and is
now a 4-bay arcade with 4-centred arches moulded with a chamfer and cavetto, moulded
type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded bases and capitals.
Simple C19 and early C20 pitch pine furnishings, pulpit and chancel screen. Two
Glastonbury-type chairs in chancel. Square granite font with hexagonal bowl.
Memorials; on north wall plaque, erected in 1928 to Thomas Hardy. Also plaque
designed by Hardy to his wife Emma Lavina Hardy nee Gifford, sister-in-law of Rev. C.
Holder, who lived at rectory between 1868-1873 (qv Old Rectory) and died at
Dorchester in 1912. Also memorial to Rev. C. Holder rector responsible for the
restoration of the church.
Drawings at west end of nave include a copy of Hardy's sketch of the ancient north
door accidently destroyed in 1870, St. Juliot church prior to restoration
illustrating the old transept from a watercolour drawing by Emma Gifford, (1870) and
a copy of Hardy's sketch of the bench ends. (The original drawings are in Dorset
Despite the severe C19 restoration, the fine C15 south aisle and south porch remain
relatively unaltered. The church has important literary associations with Thomas
Hardy and his wife Emma. Hardy's novel, A Pair of Blue Eyes is based on his
experiences in St Juliot and much of his later poetry recalls the surrounding area
and his belated love for Emma.
Gitting, Robert Young Thomas Hardy, 1980
Halliday, F.E. Thomas Hardy,1984
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1868 reprinted, 1974
For discussion of Hardy's restoration of St. Juliot and comparisons with the
restoration proposed by Hicks including reporduction of original drawings, see 'The
Part Played by Architecture in the life and work of Thomas Hardy (with particular
reference to the novels)', PhD Thesis. C.J.P. Beatty, 1963, University of London.
Information from Rev. D. Nash
Listing NGR: SX1290291221
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Beatty, C J P, The Part Played by Architecture in the Life and Work of Thomas Hardy with Particular Reference to the Novels, (1963)
Gittings, R, Young Thomas Hardy, (1980)
Halliday, F E , Thomas Hardy, (1984)
Hardy, T, A Pair of Blue Eyes
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing