CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1224918
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:01:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Welsh Newton
National Grid Reference:
SO 49961 18022

Details

SO 41 NE; 4/181

WELSH NEWTON CP, WELSH NEWTON

Church of St Mary

25/02/66

GV

I

Parish church. C13, C14 alteration and additions, C16 roof. Restored 1869 by Hans F Price of Weston-super-Mare. Coursed sandstone rubble, worked rubble dressings, artificial stone slates to roof. West tower, nave and chancel with south porch and north vestry.

West belfry tower: two stages with short octagonal broached spire, projecting plinth and moulded string course, further string course to belfry stage, short clasping buttresses, square headed vents to belfry, weathervane to spire, weatherings to earlier roof line to east side. Four bay nave and two bay chancel in one; one lancet to west and four similar lancets to east of south porch; gabled dormer to light rood screen, 2-light window with trefoiled ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil, hoodmould, gable surmounted by small stone cross at apex; three short stepped buttresses. Gabled south porch, pointed arched doorway of two orders; inner rounded and outer chamfered, chamfered jambs square stone stoup against inner east wall. East window designed 1862 by J P Seddon, executed by Powell of Whitefriars.

INTERIOR: continuous ceiled waggon roof with moulded members and small square bosses. One moulded tie beam and cut ends of one other remain of earlier roof, moulded wooden wall plate with red crosses on tie-beam stubs. Fine stone rood screen: three bays, central narrower bay with 2-centred arch, outer segmental pointed arches, two moulded orders, octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds with moulded bases and capitals, hoodmoulds to arches and hollow chamfered cornice with ball flower ornament. Fittings: C12 font, plain circular bowl with tapering sides, squat circular base. Stone seat in north wall of chancel with shaped arm rests. Piscina in east splay of south-east window of chancel; small trefoil headed recess. The red crosses marked on the wall-plate and cut end, of tie-beams probably refer to the Knights Templar who held the church until 1312 when it passed to the Knights Hospitaller.

Listing NGR: SO4996118022

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
421105
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16771/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Tudhope. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].