This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FIRTH STREET MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FIRTH STREET MILLS

List entry Number: 1226503

Location

FIRTH STREET MILLS, FIRTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

FIRTH STREET 1. 5113 (North side) Firth Street Mills SE 1416 SE 919 - /4/10001 II GV

2. Spinning mill with attached engine house, coal store, boiler house and chimney, plus added weaving sheds. Built 1865-6 for Benjamin Lockwood with additions 1886 for Rueben Hurst. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Mill building has double ridge hipped roofs with dentilated eaves. 6 storey. 4 windows wide and 21 windows in length, all with flush ashlar cills and lintels, plus C20 large pane casements. The south front has a stair tower with a single window and a single taking-in door to each floor, plus taking-in doors to each floor of the eastern most bay. Engine house, to east, has a hipped roof and dentilated eaves. The north front has a pair of tall round headed windows with moulded ashlar surrounds and keystones. Coal store, to east, has a single blocked doorway with flush ashlar shouldered lintel, to the canalside. Boiler house, to south, with ashlar coped gable. 3 storey. South front has blocked cart entrance, with 2 blocked windows above, and 2 farther windows above again. Weaving sheds, to south west of the mill, single storey with 7 coped gables along the south wall, and a cart entry with plank doors below the sixth gable. Office block to east converted c1960 from the former time office and cottage. Beyond to the east the main gates, with a pair of rusticated square gate piers with pyramidal caps, and iron gates. Chimney stack, to east, very tall hexagonal, tapering stone stack, with decorated upper stage, and moulded cornice at top.

Listing NGR: SE1474616080

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 14746 16080

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 12:24:25.

End of official listing