CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1227591
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 04:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
High Ham
National Grid Reference:
ST 42528 31067

Details

HIGH HAM CP THE GREEN (North side) ST43SW 2/28 Church of St. Andrew 17.4.59 GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Traces of C12 and C14 work in tower, remainder mostly rebuilt in 1476, some C19 restoration by John Norton. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slated main roofs with moulded coped gables behind battlemented parapets; sheet lead aisle and porch roofs, behind battlements. Four-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave and north and south aisles, with added south porch and west tower. Chancel, late C15, has double plinth course, eaves course with gargoyles, crenellated parapets; coped gable set behind east gable proper; angled corner and bay buttresses with pinnacles to corners, and formerly to each buttress: east window of 5 lights, sub-arcuated tracery, set in hollowed recess with pointed arched label having headstops; north and south sides have 3-light windows to match, but in both cases no window to centre bay - north side blank, south has small almost triangular 4-centre arched moulded doorway. Nave visible as a clerestorey: 3-light traceried windows set in 4-centre arched chamfered recesses, no labels, with gargoyle string course and crenellation above. North aisle has double plinth, eaves course with gargoyles, battlements, bay and angled corner buttresses; 3-light windows of standard tracery in hollowed pointed-arched recesses without labels, but no windows centre bay, instead a 4-centre arched chamfered doorway; east window of 2 light with cusped Y-tracery similar to Low Ham Church (qv) and may be late C17. Similar late window in east wall of south aisle, which matches north aisle; in middle bay the porch, similar in detail but lower; angled corner buttresses, pitched moulded gable coping with sundial at crown; near semi-circular arched doorway with C19 wrot iron gates; to right a canopied stoup, and above a canopied statue niche with C19 figure: inside a fine moulded rib and panel timber roof with rose and leaf bosses; and original inner door with traceried head. Tower of 3 stages, rather squat; triple plinth bands, string courses, battlemented parapets with small canopied figure to one south merlon, and corner gargoyles; angled corner buttresses to west side, and straight buttresses east face continued as west walls of aisles, north east corner stair turret slightly higher than tower: small pointed arched doorway in plinth of south wall, and set on plinth in west wall a 3-light window set in very deep hollowed pointed arched recess without label; to stage 2 a small trefoil-cusped single-light window under square label to three faces, with clock on south; stage 3 has 2-light near semi-circular arched windows all faces, fitted with pierced stone baffles. Inside, the interior almost entirely C15. Chancel has fine moulded kingpost truss roof, with arched-braced ties and a wealth of rosettes, angels and other carvings; 2 empty statue niches in east wall; choir stalls incorporate C15 work, and in the wide panelled chancel arch a timber screen of the Devon type with elaborate fan-vaulted overthrow, well preserved. gave has standard hollowed 4-shaft piers to arcading, and matching roof, but the tower arch could be C13. Pulpit and lectern C19, but many C15 bench ends to pews. Moulded rib and panel timber roofs to both aisles, matching the south porch: in south aisle a C17 altar table, and a C12 lead-lined tulip bowl font on turned base with cable mould, a C20 cover in a C17 style. Some fragments of C15 stained glass in the east window tracery. Brass tablet to John Dyer, died 1499, Rector who paid for rebuilding of chancel. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Revd. R C P Terrell - A Guide to St. Andrew's Church, High Ham, unpublished, undated).

Listing NGR: ST4252531068

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263091
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Terrell, R C P, A Guide to Saint Andrews Church High Hams Somerset

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].