Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:51:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 39222 45005


HORNTON CHURCH LANE SP3845, SP3844 (West side) 16/115, 20/115 Church of St. John the Baptist


Church. Late C12 with C13 and C14 alterations and additions. C15 east and west windows. Roof restored in 1922. Ironstone ashlar and squared, coursed ironstone. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. 5-window range, Chancel, 4-light Perpendicular east window. 2 Decorated windows on south have trefoiled lancets. Priest's doorway with ogee head and plank door. South aisle has 2 trefoiled lancets windows to right of porch. Another to nave to left of porch. Perpendicular clerestory has four 2-light windows, one renewed. South porch. Pointed arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Plank door. South porch and south aisle have diagonal buttresses. Chancel, nave, and south aisle have parapets. West tower. 3 stages. Doorway on west has pointed arched head and hood mould. Plank door. 3-light Perpendicular window and a 2-light louvred window to bell-stage. String courses to second and third stages. Parapet. Clock on south face. Diagonal buttresses. North aisle. Pointed arched doorway, 2-light Perpendicular and 2-light ogee headed windows. Four 2-light windows, - F ou'r S'+ii g.'it Perpendicular clerestory windows. Chancel has exterior wall memorials on east dated 1702, 1717 and 1817. Scratch dial in wall of south aisle. Interior chancel. Arched, braced roof. In the north wall the blocked arches of a C14 arcade formerly opening to a chapel. On the south an ogee headed Decorated piscina. Nave. Arch braced roof. North arcade of 4 bays, C12 with additional C14 bays. Round piers with scalloped capitals. 2-bay Decorated south arcade, with 2 octagonal piers. Small Decorated piscina. Remains of a stone reredos in chancel and north aisle. C12 circular font with blind arcade of intersecting arches above a double band of table moulding. Border of stylized leaves around the rim. South aisle has a fragment of the lower part of a C15 screen with traceried panels. Tower arch has an early C17 screen with first pierced balusters. Late C14 wall paintings; Last Judgement or Doom above the chancel arch: a Crucifixion with the Virgin and St John; a Pieta north of the chancel arch and south of it St. George and the dragon; C14 fragments in the south aisle; C17 texts in the north aisle. South window has fragmentary remains of medieval stained glass. (VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol IX, pp136-7; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire; p654)

Listing NGR: SP3922045005


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 654
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12544/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sarah L McKenna. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].