ST GEORGES'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1228901
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES'S CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST GEORGES'S CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228901.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:33:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST GEORGES'S CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradfield St. George
National Grid Reference:
TL 90721 59932

Details

TL 95 NW BRADFIELD ST.GEORGE CHURCH ROAD

6/23 St. George's Church

14.7.55 (Formerly listed as Church of St.George)

I

Church, mediaeval with alterations c.1890. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with freestone dressings (some gault brick dressings in C19 work). South nave walling Norman at lower level, with slit window. Mid C14 work to nave includes: large 3-light south window (restored C19), and chancel arch with polygonal shafts having moulded capital and base. Good late C14 south nave doorway with moulded jambs, trailing-leaf and other carving, hood-moulded ogee-head and segmental internal hood-mould on head corbels. North aisle added C15: flat roof and crenellated parapets; 2 3- light windows (restored C19); plain north doorway; triple nave arcade with attached circular shafts having moulded capitals and bases; the roof of arch- braced principal rafters, cornice and purlins. South porch added C15, with arched doorway, quatrefoiled 2-light windows, one with a hand carved on the inner reveal. West tower added c.1500 (mentioned in will of William Cowper 1496 as "new"), in 3 stages with crenellated parapets, crocketted finials and lion- head gargoyle, 2-light belfry openings, polygonal stair-turret, moulded west doorway with large 2-light window above; on the west diagonal buttresses, an inscription in black mortar. The nave roof raised early C16; arch-braced cambered tie-beams, cornice, purlins and ridge, all moulded; the arch braces vigorously carved and with traceried spandrels and wall pieces on stone corbels; 2-light hood-moulded clerestory windows and brick crenellated parapets. A niche inserted beside the chancel arch c.1500, with pilasters and panelled tracery, now occupied by C20 image. Mid C14 octagonal font with moulded base and traceried facets to bowl. Early C17 octagonal oak pulpit, panelled with tracery and arcading. A set of 9 C16 poppy-head pews with traceried backs, 2 with figures carved on poppy-head'. Fragments of mediaeval stained glass of a Knight in armour, in south chancel window. 2 marble floor- slabs in chancel; one to Revd. L. Wright (d.1802), the other with obscured epitaph, d.1771. Wall tablet set in external face of south nave wall to Robert Nune (d.1663).

Listing NGR: TL9072159932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403626
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16076/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].