CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228939
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, ST EDMUNDS CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228939.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:32:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, ST EDMUNDS CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Derby (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 34793 39714

Details



893/7/236 ST EDMUNDS CLOSE 13-FEB-67 ALLESTREE CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

II* Parish church of C12-C13, rebuilt 1865-66 by Stevens & Robinson.

MATERIALS: Coursed local gritstone, with tooled dressings to C19 fabric, timber-framed porch, graded slate roofs.

PLAN: Nave with aisles under separate roofs and incorporating chapels, lower chancel, south porch, south-east vestry and north-west parish room.

EXTERIOR: Mainly in Decorated style, with buttresses, corbel tables and coped gables. The 3-stage west tower has angle buttresses in the C13 lower stage. Upper stages are later, possibly C15, with plain parapet that could be as late as the C19. The round north-west turret is clearly C19. The 2-light west window is C19, above which the small narrow second-stage window, and a taller top stage with round clock (1853 by John Whitehurst of Derby) and 2-light belfry openings with Y-tracery. The south aisle has two 3-light windows and porch in the first bay, which has open sides on moulded posts and arcading, and iron gates under an open truss. Inside is the re-set C12 doorway, much restored. It has continuous chevron decoration to an inner order, and an outer order of attached shafts that includes possible seed pods and demon sprouting branches. In the arch is an order of beak head, and label with saltire crosses and an outer order comprising scroll-like leaves on the left side, and circles with crossed ferns on the right side. The chapel at the end of the south aisle has an added late C20 vestry, and a 3-light east window. The north aisle has two 3-light windows, and its chapel has cusped windows either side of a buttress with stack, and 3-light east window. The chancel has a similar 3-light east window and 2-light south window.

INTERIOR: The C13 tower arch has 3 orders of chamfer, the inner on responds but the outer dying into the imposts. A blocked north arch, which opened to what is now the church hall, has similar detail. Three-bay nave arcades are Early-English style with round piers and stepped arches. The chancel arch is on short corbelled shafts. The nave has an arched-brace roof on corbels, and the aisles have crown-post roofs with quatrefoils below the apex. Two-bay chancel arcades are on double round piers with foliage capitals. The chancel has a closed polygonal roof with moulded ribs and bosses. Walls are exposed freestone. In the north chancel wall is an arched tomb recess into which a fragment of a medieval grave slab has been placed. In the chancel south wall is a C19 cusped piscina. Floors are laid with C19 tiles, with floorboards below pews, and C20 wood-block floor in the north chapel.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The C19 font, of Norman influence, is polished marble with square bowl on corner shafts and central round stem. The plain panelled polygonal pulpit of c1962 is in the north aisle. The wrought-iron chancel screen is late C19 or early C20 and has a central gable. Pews have plain square ends and choir stalls are dated 1932. There are several C18-C19 wall tablets. Are also several late C19 and C20 stained-glass windows, including the Angel of the Resurrection in the chancel east window (1890) and patterned coloured and etched glass in the south aisle.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Timber-framed lych gate with hipped shingled roof.

HISTORY: A village church of C12 origin, evidence for which is the re-set south doorway. The tower is C13-C15 (with C19 stair turret and remodelling), but otherwise the church is a rebuilding of 1865-66 by H.I. Stevens (1806-73) and F.J. Robinson (1833-92), architects of Derby. Stevens had earned a reputation as an ecclesiastical architect and built many churches in the East Midlands. Chancel and tower incorporate medieval fabric but aisles are entirely C19.

SOURCES: The Parish Church of St Edmund, Allestree, 1990. Pevsner (revised E. Williamson), The Buildings of England: Derbyshire (1978), 189.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Edmund, Allestree, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * The church has a late C12 doorway which, although much restored, retains much of its vigorous original carving. * The church retains a medieval tower of C13 origin, and C13-C14 tomb recess in the chancel. * The main body of the church is by well-respected C19 Derby architects and retains original architectural character, and use of traditional local materials, in spite of its late C20 vestry.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403678
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03139/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Ward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].