CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1230460
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230460.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:09:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Whepstead
National Grid Reference:
TL 83278 58238

Details

TL 85 NW WHEPSTEAD CHURCH ROAD

4/129 CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA

(Formerly listed as Church of 14.7.55 St. Petronella)

II*

Church; mediaeval, restored 1869. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble walls, mainly rendered, with limestone dressings; porch of knapped flintwork. Plaintiled roofs except for slated vestry, and nave with large riven slates; parapet gables. Square chancel arch piers late C11 or C12, with roll-moulded jambs; the arch with chevron mouldings built 1869, but some voussoirs from the original arch were found during the work and reused for a C19 doorway in the tower staircase. Late C13 2-light windows with quatrefoil heads in the nave. Mid C14 alterations include: Y-traceried 2- light windows in nave and chancel and 3-light east window (nave windows on both sides have piscina bowls cut into the dropped cill, and on the south side integral steps up to the rood loft); chancel piscina; moulded south doorways to nave and chancel, both with good C19 battened and boarded doors, the nave door traceried. The gabled south porch almost rebuilt early C20, but retaining lower part of C14 flint rubble walling with limestone quoins; the arched doorway renewed except for lower jambs; an original stoup in the south wall. C15 tower with moulded west doorway, and 3-light traceried window above flanked by cinquefoiled niches. The upper level much altered, possibly in 1582 (date scratched on S.E. Buttress) with 2-light belfry openings. C19 alterations include reconstruction of nave roof of hammerbeam type, and addition of gabled vestry against the C14 north doorway; the C19 pulpit incorporates 2 early C17 arcaded panels with marquetry inlay. Some fragments of assorted mediaeval stained glass reset in roundels in south chancel window. Wall tablets in chancel to: Johannes Ryley (d.1673) and General Sir Francis Hammond (d.1850). In the chancel, 2 tomb-slabs of Purbeck marble, possibly of C14 priests, and 6 C18 floorslabs of black marble.

Listing NGR: TL8327858238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405379
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07612/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Moira Gallagher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].