Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 17:45:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
Little Glemham
National Grid Reference:
TM 34655 58712



3/72 Church of St. Andrew 7.12.66


Parish church. Nave, chancel, north transept, west tower and south porch. Mostly random flint with stone dressings, knapped flint to tower; chancel of red brick with dark headers; plaintiled roofs with crest tiles to nave and chancel. C15 west tower: 4 stages, crenellated parapet, diagonal 3-stage buttresses; stone string courses at first and third stages, 2 further string courses (one decorated) below the parapet, between which is a stone band; flushwork decoration to plinth and parapet; 2-light bell chamber openings on 4 faces, west doorway with fleurons to arch, hoodmould with carved shields in spandrels, plank door; above is a figure of Christ within a cinquefoil-headed niche. South wall of nave with mostly renewed C15 windows; C15 porch, considerably restored mid C19, with cinquefoil-headed glazed niche containing the figure of St. Andrew above doorway. South nave doorway with fleurons to arch, plank door; above arch is C19 painted inscription: 'This is the Gate of the Lord'. North nave with C12 doorway: one order of colonettes, arch with one order of roll moulding and crude (unfinished?) beakheads; 2 3-light C15 windows, mostly original. Chancel rebuilt C18 and restored mid C19 with windows in C13 style; north transept built to receive the North monument, c.1830, splayed ends and flat roof. Nave and chancel with good C19 braced collar roofs. C13 octagonal font, bowl of Purbeck marble with 2 shallow pointed arch panels to each face, central stem with 8 surrounding columns, octagonal base. C19 stone pulpit, C19 benches; on north nave wall a large probably C18 painting with the Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer; fragment of Trinity carving built into south-east chancel wall. North transept in classical style: four fluted Greek Doric columns to corners, entablature, coffered elliptical vault with centre light; divided from chancel by ornate wrought iron screen; within apsidal end is monument of Dudley North (d.1829), made in 1833 in Rome by John Gibson: seated white marble figure. West transept wall with 3 C16 brasses to members of Glemham fami1y; east wall with tablets to Nicholas Herbert (d.1775) (with classical surround), Barbara, Countess of Aldborough (d.1785) and Ann, Relict of the Hon. Nicholas Herbert (d.1789). East and south chancel wall with 4 good tablets to North family, all with elaborate classical surrounds: Catherine North (d,1715), Dudley North (d.1729), Dudley North (d.1764), Sir Dudley North (d.1691). Some C19 stained glass in nave and chancel, one C20 window in south west of nave. Graded I for medieval work and interior monuments.

Listing NGR: TM3465558712


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14414/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].