CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230950.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 09:52:46.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Staffordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 84614 83049
KINVER C.P., CHURCH HILL (North side), Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mainly early C14, incorporating some C12 fragments from an earlier church; substantial mid-C15 extensions; restored 1884-5 by G. G. and J. O. Scott; north aisle rebuilt 1976. Dressed stone blocks; plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses. Four-bay nave with side aisles and south porch, two-bay aisled chancel.
West tower: mid-C14. Four stages marked by moulded strings, and crenellated parapet. Pointed west door of two chamfered orders with returned hoodmould; above is a pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a hoodmould. The north and south sides of the third stages each have a trefoil-headed loop with sunken spandrels. 2-light pointed belfry openings with reticulated tracery. Nave: at the junction with the south aisle to the west is a C12 pilaster buttress. North aisle: 1975-6, by John Greaves Smith of Kinver. The bay division buttresses are flanked by tall loops, horizontal strip windows at eaves level, dormer with hipped roof to the left. South aisle: early C14, extended to the east by a single bay in the mid-C15 to form the Grey Chapel. Buttresses at the bay divisions. Pointed C14 windows of three lights with Decorated tracery; the windows of the east bay have Tudor arches and cinquefoil-headed lights. Door of circa 1856-7 on the south side of the east bay, restored in the C20. Gabled south porch of circa 1380 with a C20 eastern extension: 4-centred arch opening with an inner chamfered order and an outer quarter-round moulded order. Inside, a pointed door to the south aisle of two quarter-round moulded orders. Chancel: pointed east window of five cinquefoil-headed lights and panel tracery; in the angle between the Grey Chapel and the chancel is the entrance to a staircase which led to a vestry beneath the sanctuary. This room is lit to the east by three rectangular windows at ground level. North chancel aisle: (The Foley Chapel). In existence by 1472 when its founder John Hampton was buried here. Three windows to the north and one to the east, all of similar character to those of the eastern bay of the south aisle. In the centre of the north side is a mid-C19 door with Tudor arch, partly blocking the central window.
INTERIOR: C14 south arcade, and north arcade of 1856-7 by Thomas Smith of Stourbridge. Both have octagonal columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches of two chamfered orders. The easternmost column of the south arcade has the inscription "THO / PIXELL / WILL / BANNISTER / 1671 / CHUR WARDENS". C14 pointed tower arch of three chamfered orders springing from engaged octagonal columns with moulded capitals. High pointed arch of two chamfered orders springing from engaged octagonal columns. Immediately north of the chancel are the remains of a newel staircase leading to a door with semicircular arch which probably communicated with a former rood loft. Over the nave is an early C14 common-rafter roof with double collars; the lower collars are arch braced. Over the south aisle a collar rafter roof with straight braces, C14 or C15. C15 north chancel arcade with four-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders springing from cylindrical columns with moulded caps and bases. The south arcade has pointed arches of two chamfered orders springing from octagonal columns with moulded capitals, C14 and C15, restored and strengthened to the south by massive C19 brick arches. C15 arch-braced collar rafter roof of 4-centred section over the chancel. C15 panelled roof of 4-centred section over the north chancel aisle. C14 sedilia and piscina at the east end of the C14 south aisle, all with ogee arches. FITTINGS: late C14 stone font with elaborate tracery patterns. Hexagonal oak pulpit with balustraded steps; dated 1623 but heavily restored in 1903. Late-C17 oak communion rail with richly carved balusters. Panelled oak reredos with fluted Ionic pilasters and panelled side walls to sanctuary. Organ of 1901 in south aisle. MONUMENTS: The Grey Chapel: chest tomb of Sir Edward Grey (d. 1528) with incised brasses of Sir Edward, his wife and children. Large tablet to William Talbot (d. 1686) with segmental pediment capped by an urn. Tablet to Dorothy and Edward Hillman (d. 1722 and 1727) with broken semi-circular pediment. The Foley Chapel: mutilated C15 recumbant effigy of a knight reputed to be that of John Hampton (d. 1472), the founder of the chapel. Architectural tablet to John Hodgetts (d. 1789). two urns within an aedicule formed by two short thick unfluted Doric columns and a heavy pediment. Chancel: tablet to Eliza Crawshaw (d. 1813), capped by an obelisk with palm tree motif. Nave: tablet to John and Ann Comber (d. 1732 and 1751). South aisle: large First World War memorial incorp- orating a statue of St. George. Stained glass: east window of circa 1849 showing scenes from the life of Jesus, 2 early C20 windows in the south aisle.
Listing NGR: SO8461683049
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/72717
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing