OKEOVER HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1231031
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
OKEOVER HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of OKEOVER HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231031 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 02:15:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
OKEOVER HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Okeover
National Grid Reference:
SK 15800 48118

Details

SK 14 NE OKEOVER C.P. OKEOVER PARK

3/125 Okeover Hall

10/1/53 GV II*

Country house. c1745-9 and 1757-8 by Joseph Sanderson and Simon File, partly rebuilt 1957-60 by Marshall Sisson. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks. East range of c1745-6, West range of c1747-9 largely rebuilt 1957-60, and South range of 1957-60 excepting its east end (1757-8), enclose 3 sides of a courtyard; Gibbsian style. North front: 2-storey, 7- bay front with 3-storey corner towers in angles to flanking wings and central open pedimented break with 2 windows on either side; first floor band and moulded eaves cornice to coped parapet; corner pilasters to angle towers and central break; glazing bar sashes, those to first floor of wings are set within recesses and have scrolled architraves, stepped voussoirs and a sill band continued along each return front, those to ground floor of wings have enriched heads, those to first floor of south range central break and corner towers are round headed, the latter blind, those to ground floor of south range, excepting the towers have round heads and are set within round arched recesses springing from a continuation of the first floor band of the wings, blind second floor oculus to each tower; central 8 panelled door and fanlight with radiating glazing bars. West return of east wing: 7 bays; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the 2 left hand window bays are blind; central door with bracketed pediment. East return of west wing: 2:3:2 bays, projecting centre with ground floor defined by quoins of alternating lengths; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the first 2 ground floor windows from the right are blind; central door with bracketed pediment. East front: 2 storeys with first floor band; 1:1:9 bays, wing of 1745-7 to the right, and east end of South range of 1757-8 to the left, with single bay recessed link between. Right hand range has glazing bar sashes with raised keys and moulded surrounds, those to first floor with sill band; central pedimented 3 bays defined by alternating quoins with first floor windows surmounting recessed balustrades, pediment has a central oculus with enriched surround. Left hand bay forms the S.E. pavillion: 2 storeys with attic storey over bold cornice broken to east by arched recess containing first floor Venetian window, quoins to lower floor, pilasters to attic; upper cornice and blocking course; a ground floor angled bay window, blocking course continued as bands (sill band to south); central window of bay is arched, lintel string returned as impost string to south. Recessed link has ground floor door. Interior: Drawing Room: Rich plasterwork by Charles Stanley. Coved plaster ceiling with large roundel containing 2 mythological figures; open well staircase with decorative wrought iron rail of 1748 by Robert Bakewell of Derby. The C18 work at Okeover was done for Leak Okeover and the rebuilding of the 1950's for Sir Ian Walker. The most important country house conversion of the 1950's and 1960's [J.M. Robinson, The Latest Country Houses (1984)]. C.L. Vol. 135 (1964).

Listing NGR: SK1580048118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406052
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, J M, The Latest Country Houses, (1984)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 135, (1964)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10742/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Pittman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].