CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1231082
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231082.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:12:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Badley
National Grid Reference:
TM 06238 55918

Details

BADLEY TM 05 NE

1/1 Church of St. Mary

9.12.55 I

Parish church, mainly C15, with core of c.1200 or earlier. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mainly flint rubble walling, plastered on the south and east sides. The tower is of flint and brick rubble, with the belfry stage rebuilt in C16 orange brick. Freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs (the tower roof is flat behind parapets). Two features are of c.1200; a lancet in the north chancel wall, and the south doorway which has an equilateral arch, hoodmoulded and with chamfered jambs and imposts. Good C15 door with moulded muntins. The south porch is of C14 but almost rebuilt in C20; a heavy 2-centred doorway and posts which give evidence for traceried side-lights. Mainly C15 3-light windows, but the west window is unusually large and of 5 lights. The tower was placed on top of the west end of nave in C15. Complete early C16 roofs: in the nave are octagonal crownposts with moulded capitals, and tie-beams and cornices also moulded. Other early C16 work includes a south window with triple ogee-headed lights, and a ruinous rood-loft stair outside the north side. C13 Purbeck marble font, the octagonal bowl with a pair of shallow arches on each face; a C17 oak cover with acorn finial. A fine selection of oak furnishings of various dates, but untouched since C18: a set of 5 and three sets of 4 benches, one C15 example having carved animals on the buttresses. Most others are of C16, the whole augmented and rearranged in C17. The base of the C15 rood screen remains up to middle rail, with painted stencilled decoration; it is incorporated in C17 box pews, 2 of which have long sections of tracery taken from the head of the screen. The C17 pulpit is plain but has a reading desk enriched with arcading. All the C17 work has interesting ironmongery. Iron communion rails of c.1830. A number of good monuments and floor slabs. Blocking the outer face of a C14 window is a monument to Henrietta Robins (d.1728). In the chancel is a wall monument to Edmund (d.1548) and Myrabel Poley (d.1558) with a coloured achievement and obelisks above; others of the family were added, the last in 1604. Another monument to Sir Henry Poley (d.1707), with fine Baroque modelling. C18 panels over the sanctuary bear the 10 Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer. In the chancel are 14 marble floor slabs of C17 and C18, most having achievements of members of the Poley family, and one with inset brass. In the nave are 5 others, 3 of which have (or had) brasses. A C13 coffin-shaped slab inside the south door has an inscription around the border.

Listing NGR: TM0623855918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09244/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Luke Barber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].