CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1232978
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HASTINGLEIGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232978.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:50:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HASTINGLEIGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Hastingleigh
National Grid Reference:
TR 10197 44495

Details

TR 14 SW 5/69

HASTINGLEIGH Church of St. Mary

GV I Parish Church. C11, C13 chancel and tower, C14 south aisle and porch. Chancel, nave with south aisle, south west tower and western porch.

Flint, the upper stages of the tower rebuilt in red brick, with plain tiled roof. Roll moulded west door with hollow moulded hood set in C14 timber porch on flint base, with cusped bargeboard. Crown post roof and benches within porch. Massive offset buttresses to north nave. Heavily restored outer jambs of Chancel lancets and decorated style nave windows (downpipe hopper dated 1879). Exposed jambs of possible Anglo-Saxon north door, with C12 blocked round headed doorway set within.

Interior: Two bay south arcade on octagonal piers, with double chamfered arches, westernmost respond later in character. Identical chancel arch. Jambs of tall, possibly Anglo-Saxon north door. Roof of three crown posts. C13 double chamfered arch to south west tower, with identical arch to south aisle (the arcade therefore a later rebuild of original C13 aisle openings). Roof of two crown posts and brackets. Chancel with two light ogee headed southwestern window, otherwise four closely packed and uneven lancets to each of north and south walls, with string course. Triple lancet east window with string course. Roof of four crown posts, with extra moulded tie beam.

Fittings: simple trefoiled and deeply chamfered piscina in chancel, and aumbreys in south and north walls. Turned baluster altar rail c.700, and contemporary panelled pulpit. Some late medieval/C17 panelling reused in dividing screens in church after 1879 removal of box pews. C15 rood screen, with five bays with depressed ogee arch and 6 traceried lights over in each flanking bay. Simple arched piscina to south aisle. Wall paintings in nave (within a round headed niche) and aisle (The Annunciation). C13 grisaille glass, a complete lancet in the chancel north wall, and two C16 armorial windows in the south wall. Brass in nave floor, John Halke, d, 1604, and Anne his wife (d. 1596). Simple inscription set in marble slab with a detached hawk over (Grandparents of Dr. William Harvey, the discoverer of circulation of blood).

Listing NGR: TR0929244733

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408375
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Mary Hastingleigh Church Guide
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 346

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09706/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derrick Chiverrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].