LIGHTHOUSE ON LONGSTONE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1234462

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: LIGHTHOUSE ON LONGSTONE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIGHTHOUSE ON LONGSTONE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:52:55.

Location

Statutory Address: LIGHTHOUSE ON LONGSTONE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Sunderland

National Grid Reference: NU 24591 38983

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH SUNDERLAND LONGSTONE NU 23 NW Farne Islands 5/178 Lighthouse on Lighthouse on Longs tone 22/12/69 GV II Lighthouse and Keeper's cottage. 1826 by David Alexander for Trinity House, Newcastle, enlarged later C19 by Joseph Nelson. Ashlar and dressed stone, painted red and white. All the buildings are set on a tall, dressed-stone base, rounded in plan with a segment-headed doorway in alternating-block surround. The base has a bold, roll-moulded top. Tall, 5-storey circular tapering lighthouse with small, square openings in raised surrounds. Platform with iron railings below the light. The light has trellised glazing bars. Small domed roof. Lower rounded extension on east side for foghorn. To right a single-storey, 2-bay cottage, rounded at each end. Segment-headed 12-pane sashes. Door on left return. Roof hidden by parapet. Of great landscape value and famous for its association with Grace Darling (18l5-42) daughter of the keeper who with her father rescued five people from the wreck of the Forarshire in 1838.

Listing NGR: NU2459138983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 410375

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing