CHURCH OF ST LUKE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LUKE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234909.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:57:33.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LUKE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 59663 49937
815/16/673 ULLINGSWICK 09-JUN-67 CHURCH OF ST LUKE (Formerly listed as: ULLINGSWICK PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN))
Parish church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300, restored in 1856 and 1862-3 by Kempson, with glass by Clayton & Bell.
MATERIALS: Local rubble sandstone with freestone dressings, tile roof.
PLAN: Rectangular plan of nave with lower chancel, west belfry, south porch and north vestry.
EXTERIOR: The nave has 2 small round-headed Norman windows offset towards the east end. Other windows are C19, including 3 pairs of cusped windows in the north wall, one similar pair in the south wall, and 2-light south-east window with mullion carried up to the apex of the arch. Below the central north window is a blocked, possibly Norman, doorway. The wider, stepped south doorway is mainly C19, although the lower courses appear to be medieval, with continuous chamfer to the inner order. The porch has a similar pointed entrance. A lancet window is in the west wall, which appears to be C19 rebuild with battered base. The pretty bellcote is timber-framed with louvres and quatrefoil sound holes, and has a pyramid shingled roof. Chancel windows are C19 restorations of c1300 windows. There are 2 south windows and one north window, with Y-tracery. The east window is 3 stepped lights under a super arch, a local type found, for example, at Hereford Cathedral. Cast-iron rainwater heads are said to be of the type designed by Henry Woodyear.
INTERIOR: The restored chancel arch is double-chamfered, of which the inner order is on corbelled shafts with square abaci. The nave has a trussed-rafter roof of 1863, and an arched-brace truss near the west end supporting the turret. The chancel has a canted, boarded ceiling of 1856 with transverse ribs, on moulded cornice. A pointed north priest's doorway and a pointed window now open into the vestry. A blocked Tudor-headed fireplace is in the south wall, probably indicating a former box pew here. Nave walls are plastered, but stonework is exposed in the chancel. The nave has a parquet floor and the chancel a C19 tile floor, including encaustic tiles.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The plain octagonal lead-lined font is probably C15 but its round stem and base may be earlier. Screen and pulpit were installed in 1904-5 and share C16-style details. The polygonal pulpit has intricate openwork, Gothic panels, foliage cornice and linenfold panelling on the pedestal. The tall screen has linenfold panelling on the dado, main lights with intricate tracery, foliage-trail cornice and brattishing. Simple pine pews are 1863. The later choir benches are of oak, with foliage bench ends (possibly also 1904-5). The wooden altar has a front with painted angels in arcaded panels. Either side of the altar are grave slabs laid on the sanctuary floor, one of which has a floriated cross of the C13, but is also engraved 1699, suggesting re-use. In the nave south wall is an unusual memorial to John Hill (d 1590) that is painted on stone: it shows the deceased on a tomb chest with kneeling family members in mourning. In the chancel are windows of the 1860s by Clayton & Bell. The east window is the crucifixion, above which is a small demi-figure of the Virgin Mary and Child, which has been attributed to the C15. North and south windows show the Last Supper (in a window opening into the vestry), Christ's sufferings foretold, the 3 Mary's at the sepulchre, and doubting Thomas. The south-east nave window shows Christ healing the sick, 1862 by Hardman of Birmingham.
HISTORY: Ullingswick is a church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300. The chancel was restored and re-roofed in 1856. The remainder underwent a major restoration in 1862-63 by F.R. Kempson (1837/8-1923), who appears to have completely rebuilt the west wall, and added the present belfry and porch. The contractor was Niblett & King, the cost £600. The chancel was fitted with stained glass soon afterwards. Screen and pulpit were added in 1904-5, designed by Kempson. The vestry was added in 1945 as a war memorial.
SOURCES: J. Leonard, Churches of Herefordshire and their Treasures, 2000, p 108. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, pp 302-3. C. Dalton, Ullingswick Church, 1987. Information from Alan Brooks.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Luke, Ullingswick, is listed Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * For the extent of its early fabric of the C12 in the nave and c1300 in the chancel. * For its pre C19 fixtures, including the font and an unusual memorial of c1590. * For the quality of its C19 fixtures, chiefly the stained glass by Clayton & Bell.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 191
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing