Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LANCASTER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:10:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29255 79961


TQ 2979 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER STABLE YARD SW1 90/13 Lancaster House 5.2.70 GV I Town mansion. c. 1820. First design by Sir Robert Smirke for the Duke of York, superseded by Benjamin Dean Wyatt who with Philip Wyatt presented new designs 1825-27, completed for the 2nd Duke of Sutherland (as Stafford House) 1833-38 with added attic storey and Smirke as executant architect ; finally the staircase lantern and decoration by Charles Barry 1838. Bath stone, slate roof. Free standing, grand classical mansion dressed with giant Corinthian porticoes to north, south and Green Park fronts, built round vast top lit stair compartment. 2 main storeys, basement and attic storey. 9-window wide north and south fronts with 5-bay portico centrepiece and one bay end pavilions. 9-window east front with end pavilions and 3-bay centrepiece and 11-window Green Park front with 5-bay portico centrepiece. Rusticated arcaded porte cochere to north surmounted by pedimented portico, similar arcaded ground floors to south and west engaged porticoes. Architraved sash windows, with cornices and pediments to piano nobile. Continuous entablature below attic storey which is pilastered on centre- pieces and end pavilions and has crowning entablature with balustraded parapet. Balustraded area parapet with fine ornamental cast iron lampstandards surmounting dies. Very grand interior, the marble lined,vast, rectangular stair compartment with central flight dividing in two and returned to 1st floor at right angles,with sumptuous, very heavy cast iron balustrade; the gallery colonnaded to east and west sides and 2 large copies of Veronese ornamenting the other 2 sides; deep coved ceiling carrying lantern with black "bronze" caryatids between the lights. The state rooms have rich white and gold decoration on red and green walls, doorcases, mouldings etc,in Wyatt's lavish Baroque-Rococo inspired by Versailles (c.f. Wyatt's Apsley House and Belvoir Castle interiors);of particular note the great tripartite gallery, incorporating a Guercino in the ceiling and in the north anteroom a Veronese, etc. "The Architects of Stafford House"; Howard Colvin; Architectural History i, 1958; "Stafford House Revisited', John Cornforth; Country Life, 7-14 Nov. 1968

Listing NGR: TQ2925379958


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 14 November, (1968)
'Country Life' in 7 November, (1968)
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15102/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].