Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237109.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:37:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dover (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 31253 52508



4/10 Church of St. Mary


Parish Church. 1853-4 by Salvin. Porch added 1868. Flint and plain tiled roof. Nave, chancel, north tower and vestry and small south porch. Round headed windows with details in imitation of St. Nicholas, Barfreston, except triple, arcaded pointed lancets at east and with wheel window over. Three stage tower, the lower stage with blank arched recesses, moulded belfry openings and spirelet. North door with C12 zig-zag moulding and Christ in a mandorla, quite crudely carved. South doorway with rich tympanum and capital carving in imitation of Barfreston, and just as detailed. Byzantine style porch in coloured marbles, with heavy capitals, billet moulded arch and Canterbury cross in gable. Interior: the architectural features are the stepping in of the chancel, with a beaded and roll moulded arch to the tower, and the enriched window surrounds, with attached shafts and some zig-zag moulding. Roof of 3 king posts in nave, and trussed rafter roof in chancel. Chancel with string course and enriched lower wall. Fittings: C13 trecusped piscina on north wall, and possibly original sedile on south wall. Plain brass altar rail; painted ceiling. Reredos: 1871, with recesses left and right of central full relief of the Last Supper. This was possibly carved by the first Lord Northbourne, who certainly carved parts of the pulpit, of 1854, stone, with friezes depicting Christ preaching at several different venues, the scenes carried onto the projecting lectern at one corner. Behind the pulpit is a relief panel of St. Christopher (similar panels are found in Betteshanger House). Chandelier in chancel, C18, with 8 branches, and engraved: Ecclesia nullum tempus occupit. Elsewhere iron candelabra, probably by Salvin. Royal Arms of William III on nave west wall.. Stained glass in the nave by Kempe, dated 1891. Monuments: in the nave, Elizabeth Boys, d.1640, erected 1649. Black and white wall tablet, with arched surround and pediment shaped head. Laetitia Boys, d.1660, black wall tablet with swagged base, and broken segmental pediment on cornice. John James, d.1775. Small white wall tablet with bracketed and enriched side pieces. White oval wall plaques to John Boys, d.1799 and William Boys, d. 1781. Edward Boys, d.1827, white and black marble wall tablet with a sarcophagus and acroteria with urn over, signed Mullane, New Road, London. C17 style wall plaque early C20, gilded and painted with white and black marble enriched with strapwork and ribband work, to Henry Lambton (n.d.). In the chancel: Edward Boys, d.1649, black and white wall plaque with scrolled apron and swagged and enriched scrolled side pieces supporting a segmental pediment within a swan necked pediment, with coat of arms over - John Boys, d.1678, white and black marble wall tablet, with segmental pediment on Ionic columns with 3 cartouches over.Edward Boys, d.1691. White oval wall tablet with cherub's head base and swan neck pediment and cartouche over. There is also a fine black marble floor plaque to John Boys, d.1678, before the altar. In the tower: a series of poor C19 tablets to Morrice family, and free standing wall monument to Admiral Salmon Morrice, d.1740. Signed P. Scheemakers. White marble base with relief of ships in full sail, and side pieces carved with navigation aids and trophies. Black marble sarcophagus with inscription, flanked by trophies and a cannon (passing behind the chest) and crowned with a portrait bust of Morrice with a grey marble obelisk background with cartouche over. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, pp 139-140.)

Listing NGR: TR3150652767


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Kent II, (1983), 139-140


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/11319/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].