CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1239147
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-1991
Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:52:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 68360 27988

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/10/2012

SD 6827 NW 2/1 28.11.51

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

(Formerly listed as The Cathedral Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Cathedral church (since 1926), formerly parish church. 1820-6 by John Palmer of Manchester; damaged by fire in 1831 and restored by Thomas Stones, clerk of works, in consultation with Thomas Rickman. Large-scale E extensions of 1926 by W A Forsythe; central (transeptal) corona by Lawrence King, 1961. C19 work in ashlar; C20 in snecked rubble; slate roofs. W tower flanked by rooms that contained the stairs to the galleries (now removed), nave and aisles. Shallow chancel removed and replaced by large transepts, choir and side chapels, all set over offices. C19 work in Decorated revival style. W tower, archaeologically careful and advanced for its date: 3 stages, the lower stage with ogee-headed superordinate arch containing W doorway under flat gabled portal, and 2-light window; 1st stage divided with paired windows under clocks; paired belfry openings under ogee hood moulds; angle buttresses gabled and finialed clasp polygonal pinnacles; pierced parapet. Aisles and nave battlemented, the former with tall 3- light windows with a heavy transom (to conceal galleries), buttresses between; the latter with paired windows. 1926 work (incomplete) in spare Decorated style; corona with 7-light square-headed windows to each of the eight facets, the window bays divided by mullions that rise above parapet level; taller angle pinnacles; all this in an economical Modern style, the whole surmounted by a tall spire. Interior: nave of 6 bays (the E bays altered when church extended). Cylindrical piers with attached shafts to cardinal points; deeply moulded arches with continuous hood-moulds; continuous formal foliage frieze below clere story windows; ribbed tierceron star vault with longitudinal rib. Aisles have flat ribbed ceiling with springers. Tripartite W arrangement of doorway flanked by ogee-headed recesses. Fittings: very few. 4 C14 seats with misericords. Some C19 glass includes (NE) Morris & Co; glass to N transept 5-light window formerly in E window of original church, mid-C19 Flemish. Palmer's design is an interesting early example of archaeologically-careful pre-Puginian Gothic Revival work, and the starred status of this building reflects the importance of this.

Listing NGR: SD6836027988

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
416889
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07097/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J. Sturtivant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].