Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of RYTON PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239528.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:13:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 76059 02799



5/124 Ryton parish church (dedication unknown)



Parish church. Medieval, early C18 Gothic Revival and 1886. Sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, West tower, north aisle and vestry. Tower. Probably early C18 (see inscription of 1710 to church- wardens on internal west wall); 2 stages ; lower stage with cusped 2-light window in west wall, 4 above to belfry, embattled parapet with broadly hollowed string course below, corner pinnacles, copper weathervane and clock on south face; late C19 entrance on south, Decorated style pointed arch with attached columns. Nave. The east and south walls appear to be medieval but much of the stonework has been renewed, 2 late C19 2- light Decorated style windows. Chancel. Also early C18 but with late C19 windows; 3 cusped lights to east window with quatrefoil frieze below, two 2-light Decorated style windows to south, plain pointed south doorway with hoodmould; moulded eaves cornice on south and C19 cross to east gable. North aisle. 1886. Two 2-light windows on south with geometrical tracery (inserted in north wall of nave in 1874 and moved to aisle in 1886), naturalistic leaf carving to label stops, cusped lancet with quatrefoil above to west wall, crosses to gables. Vestry. Also of 1886, 2 light window with cusped heads in east wall. Interior. Tall pointed tower arch without imposts or capitals, 3 bay north aisle arcade with octagonal capitals, late C19 chancel arch with corbelled capitals, panelled roof and trussed rafter roof to chancel both late C19; vestry separated from chancel by a low wide arch and screen of c.1890. Late C19 stained glass to nave, chancel and aisle; C20 stained glass to East window, font and pulpit late C19, encaustic tiles and late C19 texts on metal boards at the east end of the north aisle; seating also late C19, pitch pine benches with built-in brass candelabra. Monuments. A tablet built into the west wall of the tower commemorates Thomas Pitt and Aaron Louet, churchwardens, who were presumably responsible for the building of the tower, mid C19 monument with crocketted finials to members of the Harding family on the north wall; on the west wall of the nave, early C19 wall tablets to the Head and Harding families and a tablet to Mary Coxwell (died 1776) by Westmacott, draped curtains beneath inscription with a coat of arms above; on the south wall of the nave is a small brass plate to William Sansam of Atchley (died 1723). Cranage, Vol.I, pp.25-26.

Listing NGR: SJ7605902799


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 25-6


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06729/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard N. Johns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].