BARNETT HILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1241148
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
BARNETT HILL, BLACKHEATH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241148.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 13:00:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARNETT HILL, BLACKHEATH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Wonersh
National Grid Reference:
TQ 02431 45442

Details

TQ 04NW WONERSH C.P. BLACKHEATH LANE

1/332 Barnett Hill

GV II *

House, now Conference Centre. c.1905 by Arnold Mitchell for F. Cook in Carolean style. Purple/brown brick with red brick and yellow stone dressings, hipped plain tiled roofs over with wooden eaves cornice. H-shape plan with entrance courtyard and service buildings in range to left. Two storeys and attics with multiple stacks to front ends of wings and on centre of recessed range,of lozenge section. Symmetrical about centre entrance porch with five bay range flanked by projecting wings. Parapet over centre range partially obscuring the roof. One small dormer window either side of centre-and fine modillion eaves cornice below with foliate brackets and acanthus band beneath. Glazing bar sash fenestration with stone sills and aprons to windows. Five windows across the first floor under gauged brick heads, that on the entrance porch of 8-panes, 12-panes either side on first floor; 24-pane windows on ground floor with keystones over. Square turrets in angles between wings and recessed range under copper ogee domes with spherical finials. Banded stone and rubbed brick angles and one 8-pane glazing bar sash window on each floor of each face of each tower, roundel window under eyebrow 'dormer' over cornice. Wings:- Court-facing return walls - three, 8-pane windows on first floor with stone sills and aprons, three tall 12-pane glazing bar sash windows below. Two 12-pane glazing bar sash windows on the ends of each wing, one either side of stack, scrolls and garlands. Two steeply gabled dormers in roofs of wings facing across the entrance courtyard. Projecting stone entrance porch to centre with deep modillioned segmental pediment. Flamboyant cartouche in typanum of pediment and panelled pilasters to angles with foliate garlands to lugged panels. Central window with shouldered surround over and panelled apron below. Channelled ground floor rustication with 'aprons' to ends supporting cornice. Central garlanded keystone in cornice over round arched and coved surround to stone flagged porch entrance, vaulted above. Flank walls of porch have first floor windows in finely panelled and rebated surrounds and stilted,round arched windows below under cornice and keystoned head and in coved recess surround. Further half-glazed doors to base of towers. Wing to left at angles-with single storey range across the front under cross-ridge stack, taller dormered range to rear. Rear:- Projecting two storey angle bays to ends, dormers in roofs. Central stone frontispiecewith broken pediment to first floor, broken swans-neck pediment over ground floor. Fine cartouche on first floor connected to panelled pilasters by rich foliate garland. Central window in rebated surround. Wider cornice on ground floor with central scroll keystone over casement door, Ionic pilasters flanking on pedestals. Service wing set back to right. Interior:- barrel vaulted entrance corridor with plasterwork panels on ceiling and moulded doorcases.

C. ASLET: THE LAST COUNTRY HOUSES (1982) pp.36, 139 & 311; ill. 80 THE BUILDER: 29 Mar. 1912 p.164, 268; i. BUILDING NEWS: 15 Mar. 1912.

Listing NGR: TQ0243145442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440082
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aslet, C, The Last Country House, (1982), 36 139 311
'The Builder' in 29 March, (1912), 164 268
'Building News' in 15 March, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12727/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Morris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].