Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2021 at 12:08:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wychavon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 99405 53464




II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1882 by W.J. Hopkins.

MATERIALS: Snecked rock-faced stone with freestone dressings, timber-frame porch, tile roofs.

PLAN: Nave and chancel under a single roof, west tower, south-west porch, north-east vestry.

EXTERIOR: In the Decorated style of the early C14. The 2-stage west tower has a south-east turret and angle buttresses and freestone parapet; this replaces the original broach spire. There is a small clock face and 3-light west window in the tall lower stage. In the upper stage are 2-light openings with Y-tracery. The steeply gabled south porch is on a dwarf wall and has barge boards with pierced quatrefoils. Inside it the south doorway has a continuous filleted roll mould. The nave has 3 simple pointed windows in north and south walls, and a 2-light Decorated window at the east end of the north side. The chancel has angle buttresses. Its cusped windows are linked by continuous sill and impost bands, the latter carried over the windows as hood moulds. There are single-light north, single-light and 2-light south windows. The 3-light east window is identical with the west window. The vestry has a half-hipped roof and 3-light straight-headed window.

INTERIOR: Interior walls are brick-faced with modest polychrome bands and friezes. The keeled, boarded ceiling is divided into panels by moulded ribs with foliage bosses. The break between nave and chancel is marked by a cusped arched brace on tall corbelled shafts, of which the braces were carved by Martyn & Emms.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The Norman font is similar to the font at Wyre Piddle, with arrowhead moulding around the rim and chevrons lower down. Benches have square moulded ends. A mid C19 reredos has been re-erected at the west end. It consists of 3 panels, of which the central has painted Victorian Royal Arms, with painted texts below and in the side panels. There are memorial tablets, with draped urns, to Samuel Lesingham (d 1827) by Lewis of Cheltenham, and Lucy Sheldon (d 1839) by Preece of Worcester.

HISTORY: Built in 1882 by W.J. Hopkins (1820-1901), architect of Worcester, for William Laslett of Abberton Hall. A C12 font, C19 reredos and memorial tablets and ledgers were salvaged from a previous church. In 1962 the original broach spire was removed (it stood in the flight path of RAF Pershore) and replaced by the present parapet.

SOURCES: A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007, pp 102-3.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Edburga, Abberton, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a well-proportioned Gothic-revival church, although old-fashioned for date. * It has a C12 font of special interest.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06262/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].