EAST HAM UNDERGROUND STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245066
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
EAST HAM UNDERGROUND STATION, HIGH STREET NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST HAM UNDERGROUND STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 14:02:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
EAST HAM UNDERGROUND STATION, HIGH STREET NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Newham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 42430 84264

Details

TQ 48 SW HIGH STREET NORTH EAST HAM East Ham Underground Station 251/4/10033 II Railway station. Built 1858 for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway and given a new main building in 1902 when it became a part of the District line. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings and a Welsh slate roof. Single storey range built parallel to the street on the railway bridge. The front is articulated by eight rusticated red brick pilasters which carry a continuous cornice. Seven bay front with doors in the second, fourth and sixth bays. From the left, Bay 1 has a paired window with 6 over 2 sashes in keyed elliptical heads. Bay 2 has a double door with 6 + 6 light over an elliptical keyed head with pediment at parapet level above. Bay 3 has a single window as before on either side of a slightly projecting stack. The central Bay 4 has a door as before but the surround rises to an oeil-de boeuf at parapet level with a small Flemish gable with projecting London Transport logo above. Bay 5 as Bay 3; Bay 6 as Bay 2 and Bay 7 as Bay 1. The parapet carries two stacks with weathered caps rising out of Bays 3 and 5. The front roof slope has two plain lights. Interior. Brown and white glazed brick interior with a ten bay open roof with timber queen post trusses. Platforms. These date from 1858 and are the remaining part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway station. One platform (down) has a range of buildings in yellow stock brick with doors and windows with elliptical red brick heads. Cast iron columns carry LTSR brackets and timber or steel beams. The canopy becomes an island one with fretted valances. The up platform is wholly an island but is otherwise similar and does carry a small brick building. These are very complete examples of LTSR canopies. There is also a covered footbridge of rivetted plate girders and steps with cast iron handrails. History .The station was opened 31 March 1858 by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The entrance building on the bridge was built in 1902(previously there was probably a level crossing) when this station became a part of the London underground system when it was taken over by the District line.



Listing NGR: TQ4243084264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472750
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16620/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].