CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WESTGATE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245083.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2021 at 04:07:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WESTGATE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gloucester (District Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 82901 18778
SO8218NE WESTGATE STREET 844-1/7/428 (North side) 23/01/52 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church, redundant since 1971. The early C12 church largely rebuilt in C13 retaining some features; C14 alterations, early to mid C15 alterations and west tower and spire added, north-east vestry extended in C16 and C17; the spire reduced in height and capped 1783 by John Bryan; restored 1865 by John Jaques and Son, repaired following a fire 1901, the west tower stabilized 1927, the north aisle rebuilt and the church re-roofed 1935-38. Vested in the Redundant Churches Fund 1975 and programme of repairs commenced. Limestone ashlar, stone rubble, gabled slate roofs. PLAN: imposing west tower and spire, nave of six bays, on the south side of the nave towards the west end a deep porch with an upper room, from the third to the sixth bays and against the first bay of the chancel a wide south aisle with a small porch to the priest's door towards the east end; on the north side a porch against the side of the west tower and from the first to fifth bays of the nave an aisle with a wider transeptal chapel off the east bay of the nave; two-bay chancel continuous with the nave, with a vestry on the north side. EXTERIOR: mid C15 west tower of three stages defined by moulded string courses, diagonal corner buttresses with offsets rising to the top of the second stage and small panelled buttresses to the third stage, an embattled parapet with pierced tracery panels and corner pinnacles, restored 1993-4; in the first stage of the tower in each outer face a tall three-light window with hoodmould, in the second in each face a three-light window with upper transom and ogee arched head with flanking crocketed pinnacles, and in the third stage in each face a two-light arched window flanked by arched niches, all under crocketed ogee gablets with flanking pinnacles, all the windows with Perpendicular tracery; inset on the tower an octagonal, stone spire with a pinnacle attached to each diagonal face and on each cardinal face a two-light lucarne under a tall ogee crocketed gablet, the apex of the spire removed above a pinnacle coronet and replaced by a lead ogee cap with ball finial; fixed onto the south side of the tower in 1716 a large bracket clock. On the south side of nave the gabled south porch with upper room, added 1347 and rebuilt mid C19, with arched entrance
doorway and iron gates; within the porch the C12 arched doorway with nook shafts and tympanum carved in relief with an Agnus Dei and foliage. The five bays of the end-gabled south side of the nave defined by buttresses with two offsets rising to the underside of a continuous corbel table, and in each bay a large three-light window in a C13 opening, the moulded shafts to the jambs with moulded capitals and bases, and with a moulded semicircular arched head; in C15 the windows remodelled and Perpendicular tracery inserted, in C19 the window in the west bay restored to C13 design, a similar C13 window in the east end of the aisle is infilled with C14 Decorated tracery. In the north aisle C14 and C16 windows; in the gabled east wall of the chancel a C15 five-light window with Perpendicular tracery. INTERIOR: within the tower a lierne vault, and above in the belfrey stage a C15 timber bell frame. In the north arcade of the nave the west bay has a pointed arch, the next two bays are early C12 with thick cylindrical columns and round arches, and the three eastern bays are early C13 with pointed arches on cylindrical columns, the two eastern columns with stiff-leaf capitals, the four-bay south arcade also early C13 and has cylindrical columns with stiff-leaf capitals; over the nave a C19 open timber roof of five bays with four king-post trusses and an arch braced truss between nave and chancel, the trusses supported on carved stone corbels; in the chancel in the north and south walls early C16 squints inserted for viewing the altar from the aisles, in the south wall a large piscina and credence, and encaustic tile paving. FITTINGS: include at the east end of the south aisle the richly moulded, panelled timber front of the former west gallery installed in 1621 and removed in 1924 from within the lower stage of the tower; above the south doorway the arms of Charles II, otherwise C19 fittings. MONUMENTS: include at the east end of the south aisle chest tomb with robustly sculpted and coloured effigies of Alderman John Walton and wife, d.1626, the front of the chest with two kneeling figures framed in arched panels set behind and pairs of Ionic columns, restored 1980: in the chancel a half length portrait effigy of Revd. Richard Green, d.1711, in academic dress; many memorial tablets and ledgers. The decorative C14 bronze closing ring formerly on the south door is now in the Gloucester City Museum. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 236; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford: 1988-: 309-310).
Listing NGR: SO8290118778
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the City of Gloucester, (1988), 309-310
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 236
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing