1-9, WINDMILL GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245414
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1998
Statutory Address:
1-9, WINDMILL GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-9, WINDMILL GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:13:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-9, WINDMILL GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ditchingham
National Grid Reference:
TM 34051 91326

Details

TM 39 SW DITCHINGHAM WINDMILL GREEN

1898/6/10008 Nos. 1-9 (consec)

II

Terrace of houses, forming a composition around a green with N os 1- 9 and 10-17, and with Nos 12-20 Thwaite Road (qv). Built by the former Loddon Rural District Council, 1947-49, architects Tayler and Green. Two storeys, colourwashed 'wire cut' bricks in varied colours over a black tarred plinth, orange pantile roof, red 'wirecut' chimney stacks with pitched concrete copings and red clay pots. Wide frontage plans, 30-33 feet (9-10 metres) with three and four bedrooms (Nos 10-17) , single or dual aspect according to orientation, with recessed porches and stores creating a through route from front to back without passing through the living rooms, a plan evolved by the architects to overcome the difficulties associated with the traditional 'tunnel' backs of terraces. The Windmill Green housing was the first to break away from the almost universal use of semi-detached types of the pre-war period. Standard steel casement windows, some now replaced with UPVC but with the Saul-division modules of the originals retained. Each house frontage defined by projecting cover panels over the cavity party walls. Nos 18-30 have three-light casements, with wide central panes, on first floor, and on ground floor a full length casement, with central transom at left, a porch with glazed doors and side lights with deep central transoms, with a flat canopy supported on slender steel columns, and a low patterned steel infill panel, with trelliswork at right, running over the ground floor cloakroom window, and a boarded store door, with glazed panel at right. These simple designs, with their elegant proportions and concern for detail marked this scheme out as an exemplar from its inception. The informal layout of the housing blocks around a broad tapering green south of Thwaite Road was seen as a recreation of the best of vernacular design, allied to the social purpose of post-war rural housing. The shared pedestrian/vehicular access to the garage court in the south-west corner of the scheme was an original feature, and required a departure from Ministry housing standards. The scheme was illustrated in the Ministry of Health Housing Manual, 1949, and in 1950 won one of the MOH Housing Medals. While the planning of the individual homes is of interest there are no internal features of merit. Source: (Architect and Building News, 4 July 1947: 9-15; AR CXXIV (741) October 1958: 229-230; Buildings of England: North West and South Norfolk: 135-136; AA Journal, Apri11960: Tayler: 176-178; RIBA Journal, October 1947: 607-609).



Listing NGR: TM3405191326

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471703
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North West and South Norfolk, (1962), 135-136
'Architectural Review' in October, , Vol. 741, (1958), 229-230
'Architect and Building News' in 4 July, (1947), 9-15
'Architectural Association Journal' in April, (1960), 176-178
'RIBA Journal' in October, (1947), 607-609

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].