STABLES AT THE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1246069

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1996

Statutory Address: STABLES AT THE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES AT THE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 13:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES AT THE BOARS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 65731 00287

Details

SD 60 SE LEIGH MARKET PLACE (east side)

1480-/2/10005 Stables at the Boar's Head P. H.

II

Former stable block serving adjacent Boar's Head public house, now gymnasium and store, c.1900 with late C20 alterations. Red brick, with Accrington brick surrounds to openings, and also used to define gables. Welsh slated roof 'L' plan, with long stable range to street frontage, and shorter service wing at right angles to stable. 2 storeys. Stable range courtyard elevation with ramp access to first floor in the angle of the 2 ranges, with raked sidewall and setted ramp floor. 2 ground floor door openings and 3 first floor openings with late C20 window frames. Brick banding above ground floor openings, and linking first floor cills. Stable street elevation with blocked ventilator openings with segmental arched heads and sloping cills to both storeys, all now blocked. Taller openings to end bays at ground floor level, and corner chimneystack at right-hand end. Service range with full width vehicle doorway to ground floor, with taking-in doorway to first floor set below blind gablet. Window opening to left. INTERIOR: altered, and fittings removed, but with blue brick paving to ground floor. Queen strut roof trusses with extended principal rafters. A now rare example of multi-storeyed stabling, generally associated with urban sites, where conventional single storeyed stabling would have been a far more costly development. Although altered, this example is still closely associated with the commercial premises it served, and forms part of its setting. It indicates the continued dependence upon horse drawn transport in the early C20.



Listing NGR: SD6573200283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 454403

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing