CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246531
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, LINDEN AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246531.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:33:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, LINDEN AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 34317 82672

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38SW LINDEN AVENUE 784-1/9/481 (South East side) Church of St Chad

II

Parish church. 1912, chancel 1933, north-west porch and vestry c1960. By C & CM Hadfield. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Plinth and moulded eaves. PLAN: chancel, vestries, nave with clerestory and aisles, west porch, organ chamber and porch, north-west porch. EXTERIOR: chancel east end has a shallow gabled shouldered projection with square buttresses, and a moulded round-arched recess containing a traceried round window with a panel below it. Below the window, a transverse corridor with 4 unequally spaced single light windows, linking small flat-roofed vestries, that to south with a single light window in the return angle. Chancel has on either side a tall flat-headed double lancet with tracery. North side has a square external stack. Nave, 3 bays, has on either side 3 pairs of flat-headed 2-light clerestory windows. West gable has cross and gabled angle buttresses topped with crocketed pinnacles. 2 traceried flat-headed double lancets with traceried panels below and enriched band above. In the gable peak, a moulded square traceried panel. Shallow west porch has steep pitched gable flanked by buttresses with cross gabled pinnacles. Moulded pointed arched doorway. On either side, a segment-arched recess. Triple gabled south aisle has 3 large pointed arched windows with a central mullion containing a niche with tracery above it, flanked by double pointed arch lights with intersecting tracery. 3 bay north aisle has string course, sillband and moulded coped parapet, stepped above each bay. At the north-east corner, a gabled buttress. To east, 2 windows similar to the south aisle. To west, gabled porch with cross, and 2 narrow single lancets to north. Single light flat-headed window to west, cove moulded flat-headed double door to east. Each aisle has at the west end an angle buttress, billeted eaves, coped parapet, and flat-headed traceried 4-light window. Flat roofed organ chamber and choir vestry, in the south transept position, has dentilled eaves and to south, 3 tall round-headed lights. In the return angle, to east, a flat-roofed square porch with door to south and 3-light mullioned window to east. In the position of the unbuilt north transept, a pointed arched opening with hoodmould and mid C20 glazing. To north-east, a mid C20 flat-roofed porch and vestry with central north door and overlight, flanked by 3 windows, those to west larger. INTERIOR: chancel has double coved arch with octagonal responds, and faience tiled screen wall with chamfered coping. Segment arched boarded roof with moulded ribs, arch braces and deep soffits. East end has projecting square reredos panel and above, a segment-arched recess with traceried round window. North side has a double chamfered pointed arched opening with mid C20 glazed screen, and to east, a doorway. South side has to east a flat-headed chamfered sedilia under the window, and to west, a pointed arched recess containing the organ. Nave has 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches and round piers without capitals. Segment arched boarded roof with wall shafts on corbels, tie beams and king posts. Paired clerestory windows. Aisles have 3-bay transverse arch braced roofs with arch braces, wall shafts and corbels. West ends have segment-arched opening with 4-light traceried window. South aisle has 3 windows, the east one with stained glass dated 1919, the central one with stained glass dated 1916. East end has segmental pointed double chamfered opening with traceried panelled wooden screen and double door. North aisle has to west a chamfered segment-arched doorway, and to east, 2 windows, the east one with stained glass dated 1945. East end has a blocked arch similar to that in the south aisle. FITTINGS include square ashlar font with inscribed bowl and lobed base with 4 corner shafts. Cast metal lectern in the form of an angel on octagonal pedestal, with steps and brass handrail, dated 1917. Panelled traceried octagonal wooden pulpit on ashlar base. Panelled openwork stalls and desks with shaped ends, c1933. Memorials include repousse copper plaque, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK3431782672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
455352
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04005/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].