CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1247920
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:37:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Broxtowe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 50756 37799

Details

SK 53 NW BEESTON AND STAPLE FORD CHURCH STREET Bramcote (east side)

2/12 Church of St. Michael and All 18.10.49 Angels

G.V. II

Parish church. 1861. By John Johnson. C14, C14 and C15 style. West end vestry mid C20. Rockfaced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Plain and patterned slate roofs. Single ashlar side wall stack. Coped gables with gabled kneelers. Some coved eaves with ball flower. Buttressed throughout. South west tower, south porch, nave, chancel, north vestry, south aisle, west vestry. Tower, 3 stages, has deep battered plinth and canted stair turret to north west, with door. 2 string courses, linked hood mould with finials, eaves band with 4 gargoyles. Second stage has to south, a lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To west, 2 quatrefoil lights. Third stage has 4 Decorated double lancets and below each of them a gabled slit light with crocketed gable and gargoyles. Octagonal broach spire has 4 canopied lancets with flanking shafts. Above, staggered quatrefoil lights and weathercock. Timber framed south porch has chamfered ashlar plinth and 2 traceried glazed panels each side. Gabled,bargeboarded entrance has arch braces and a pail of wooden gates. Scissor braced common rafter roof. Nave, 4 bays, has to north, 4 double lancets with panel tracery. West end has Decorated triple lancet with hood mould. Chancel, 3 bays, has stepped string course. East end has Decorated triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 single lancets with linked hood mould and mask stops. North vestry, 3 bays, has to north off-centre moulded C15 style door and to right and to east, a shouldered double lancet. South aisle, 2 bays, has at east end 5 light early C14 style lancet with Decorated tracery. South side has 2 Decorated double lancets. West vestry, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth-and coped parapet. West end has projecting centre with ashlar staircase to central door, flanked by single mullioned casements. North and south sides have each 2 mullioned casements. South doorway, C13 style, has hood mould. Nave south arcade, 4 bays, has 2 clustered piers with lobed bases and capitals. To west, single round pier with broached square base and foliate capital. Chamfered and moulded arches with hood mould. West end has pair of doors and stained glass window and brass, 1866. North side has 3 stained glass windows signed "T. F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes, London", 1914, 1918, 1919. Stained glass window 1938. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and wall shafts on corbels. Chancel has ornate C14 style arch and responds with flanking shafts and foliate capitals on angel corbels. Stepped screen wall and sill band. East end has large alabaster reredos, C14 style, with canopied niches and figures. Scissor braced roof with arch braces on angel corbels. South aisle has to east stained glass window and brass, 1905 and 1914. Lean-to roof with arch braces. Fittings include C13 round font with cusped blind arcading, C19 canted ashlar pulpit and brass lectern. Simple softwood benches, stalls and desks, some with doors. Monuments include painted slate tablet with Arms and acrostic verse to Henry Harley, 1650. Slate tablet signed 'W. Haywood Sculp.' 1747. Slate tablet with Arms, 1759. Classical marble and slate tablet with obelisk, figure of Hope and sarcophagus, 1818. Classical marble and slate tablet, 1841. Pedimented tablet, 1841. Gothic wall monument with Arms, 1869. Gregory hatchment. 3 brasses C19 and C20. Marble and slate tablet, 1914 and bronze War Memorial plaque, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK5075637799

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
429333
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/68068
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/68069

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03545/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].