CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1248506
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VICARAGE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 18:02:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VICARAGE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Combe St. Nicholas
National Grid Reference:
ST 30151 11249

Details

COMBE ST NICHOLAS CP VICARAGE HILL (south side) ST31SW 6/62 Church of St Nicholas

4.2.58 GV I

Parish church. Norman in origin, chancel and lower stage of tower C13, enlarged and aisles added C15, restored 1836 when aisles extended 2 bays west, roofs renewed, reseated, gallery and screen removed, south porch added. Squared and coursed local stone, dressed chert to north porch, south porch banded squared and coursed local limestone and chert, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, monopitch lead roofs to aisles. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave, north and south chapels, chancel. Four stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage, string courses, gargoyles, 2-light trefoil-headed louvred bell-openings, 2 single light openings below, small east door with depressed chamfered head opening, polygonal stair turret in south east corner in 4 decreasing stages rising above tower, crenellated with moulded cornices and quatrefoil openings, 4 to lower stage and one above, stepped buttresses rising halfway up lower stage, moulded plinth. C19 3-light windows at west end of aisles, both crenellated with moulded cornices added when aisle roofs lowered; diagonal buttresses, south front reused 3-light window left of single storey, diagonally buttressed porch, moulded arched opening and inner doorway with C19 door, gargoyle in porch, 3-light windows right flanking buttress, hexagonal crenellated stair turret, blocked opening, 3-light windows to chapel south and east, section of wall at junction with chancel cut back with priest's door, 2-light window south side of chancel, 4-light east window, 2-light north front, 3-light to chapel with depressed chamfered arch head to priest's door, hexagonal stair turret, 3-light windows flanking buttress; single storey porch, crenellated with bosses, diagonally buttressed with moulded pointed arch opening, C19 Tudor style doorway and door, C19 3-light window right. Interior: rendered. Standard hollow moulded Perpendicular arcade, copied in the 2 west bays, 2 Norman capitals and one column with capital attached at north-west corner where aisles extended in C19. Pointed tower arch chamfered in 3 orders and lower part rebuilt. Perpendicular-style oak screen with door dated 1938. Moulded Perpendicular chancel arch; moulded arches with refoil-headed panelled jambs between chancel and chapels, Perpendicular depressed moulded arches between aisles and chapels. Hagiascopes set diagonally to give views of the chapel altars from nave. On south wall chamfered pointed arch to roodstair doorway with arched opening above, stone stairs. North wall, similar opening but blocked, memorial tablet above. C19 roofs: crown post to nave, monopitch in aisles, king post in chapels, and archbraced carried on corbels in chancel. Chancel with pointed arch, double roll moulded piscina; console table of stone supported on brackets with carved faces, probably composed of reused stonework, Minton tiles. Piscina in south chapel, now vestry. Fan vaulted rood screen, reconstructed in 1921 from original screen of c1480 which was dismantled in mid C19; dated 1921 in memory of those who died in the First World War. Pulpit composed of sections of rood screen. Circular Saxon font; octagonal Perpendicular font. collection of memorials, notably white marble convex cartouche, drapped with pettish heads of Johannes flood died 1714, White marble tablet with terrazo surround erected 1757 to members of the Banner family. Siailar tablet with open pediment, volutes and putti below, to the memory of the Rev Joel Smith, died 1758. Tablet with drapped urn to Rev Christopher Tatchell, died 1793, possibly by King of Bath. Oil painting on wood of King David playing the harp. C19 stained glass east window, eastern 2 bays of aisles with coloured glass. (Photograh in NMR; Anon, A guide to St Nicholas Church, n.d.).

Listing NGR: ST3014911249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
430052
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
A Guide to St Nicholas Church

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].