CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1249534
Date first listed: 23-May-1967
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, LOWER ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249534 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 06:07:45.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, LOWER ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Maidstone (District Authority)
Parish: East Farleigh
National Grid Reference: TQ 73414 53317
TQ 75 SW EAST FARLEIGH
Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late Cll or C12, C13, C14 and Cl5, restored 1891 by J.L. Pearson. Ragstone, with plain tile roof. Wood shingles to spire. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch with parvis chamber, chancel with south chapel, north vestry, north aisle. West tower: C13, possibly with earlier origins. Roughly coursed ragstone rubble. Battered plinth. No stages. North-east pilaster buttress with tufa quoins, and traces of another to south-east. Splay-footed octagonal tower with C19 lucarnes. Lancet to each face of belfry except east. Small rectangular light towards centre of tower below each lancet. Moulded pointed-arched west doorway with renewed scroll-moulded hoodmould. South aisle: re-built or re-faced in 1891. Small blocks of evenly-coursed dressed stone on chamfered stone plinth. Moulded and gargoyled string-course below plain parapet with moulded stone coping. Diagonal south-west and south-east buttresses and 2 south buttresses. C19 west window and three C19 south windows in a late C13 style. South porch: in a similar style to south aisle, with parapet raised to point over doorway. Chamfered plinth. Diagonal south-west and south-east buttresses. South window to parvis chamber of two trefoil-headed lights with squared hoodmould. Small rectangular west light to porch and blocked trefoil-headed light to east. South doorway possibly C15 with cavetto-moulded pointed arch and doubly plain-chamfered jambs, with broach stops and renewed moulded hoodmould. C19 inner doorway and ribbed medieval inner door. South chapel: C14. Roughly-coursed ragstone but with chamfered plinth, moulded string- course and parapet as south aisle. String-course and parapet raised to point over east window. 2-light C15 south window with hoodmould and tracery of vertical bars. Late C14 or early C15 two-light east window with trefoil- headed lights, encircled quatrefoils and moulded hoodmould. Chancel: C14 or earlier core. Roughly coursed ragstone. Extends east of chapels. Chamfered plinth. 2-light south window with renewed tracery of vertical bars, and hoodmould. Broad 3-light east window with moulded medieval jambs and similar tracery. 2-light C19 north window with trefoil. Vestry: C19 at right-angles to chancel, with lower extension to north. North aisle: 1891, in same style as south aisle. 4 north windows alternating with buttresses; one 3-light towards east, rest 2-light. Interior: structure: 4-bay nave arcade to north and south, of 1891, with chamfered pointed arches springing from clustered shafts. Pointed cavetto-moulded C15 chancel arch, inner moulding springing from attached semi-circular shafts with moulded semi- octagonal capitals and bases; outer moulding continuous. Pointed doubly plain-chamfered C14 arch between chancel and south chapel, springing from scroll-moulded imposts. Doubly plain-chamfered C14 pointed arch with renewed base between south chapel and south aisle. Late C11 or C12 west doorway to nave, possibly re-set or re-worked, visible from base of tower, with chamfered imposts, raised hoodmould and chevron band. Part of chamfered jamb of blocked opening immediately above west end of sedilia. C19 hagioscope to south chancel chapel. Roof: restored collared common rafters with scissor-braces and ashlar pieces to nave. Moulded octagonal crown-post to chancel, on C19 tie-beam, with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Shallow- pitched roof to south chapel, with broad ridge-beam butted by rafters and supported on chamfered tie-beams. C19 lean-to roofs to aisles. Fittings: trefoil-headed piscina, probably C19, with continuous roll-and-fillet moulding. Triple sedilia with partly renewed hollow- chamfered pointed- arched heads and scroll-moulded C19 hoodmould. Octagonal font. Monuments: large C14 tomb recess to south wall of south chapel, with moulded multi- cusped ogee arch with crocket finial. Shallow tomb recess to north wall of chancel with depressed moulded multi-cusped arch with daggered and quatrefoiled spandrels and panelled chest. Tablet on north wall of chancel to Agnes Wilberforce, d. 1834, by Samuel Joseph. Rectangular tablet on plain consoles, with fluted side panels. Above, a white marble relief of mourning family by draped urn on pedestal, with tapering grey marble back plate. Decoration: C19 stained glass to east window with scenes from Passion. South chapel with C19 mottled grey and green-tiled dado, tiled figures of Old Testament women above dado rail, and chequered black-and- white marble floor. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ7291753345
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 431661
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing