CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1249734
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 14:50:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Radcliffe on Trent
National Grid Reference:
SK 64470 39221

Details

SK 63 NW RADCLIFFE-ON-TRENT MAIN ROAD (south side)

3/92 Church of St. Mary 1.12.65 G.V. II

Parish church. 1879-80 by Goddard and Paget of Leicester. Rock faced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate, concrete pantiles and felt roofs. Single stack to vestry. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the west nave and east chancel. Buttressed apart from the south aisle. Set on a chamfered plinth. North west tower, nave, west porch, aisles, north vestry/organ chamber, south chapel and chancel. Tower with saddle-back roof and 4 gargoyles with band extending between, of 3 stages with bands. Further chamfered band over the plinth which extends to the north aisle and north organ chamber forming a sill band. The west side has a doorway with continuous hood mould over forming a sill band to the single arched 2 light window with tracery to the left. The band extends to the north tower. Above is a single lancet with single clock face over. There are 3 circular stair lights. The north side has a single window with 2 trefoil arched lights and single cusped circle over. Above are 3 lancets, with single lancet over. The east side has a single lancet with single clock face over. Each side of the bell chamber has a single pair of moulded arched openings, arches supported each side on 2 engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals. Over, to the south and north sides, are single lancets. The west nave has a lean-to porch with parapet rising to a gable over the trefoil arched entrance with moulded arch over and continuous hood mould. The north and south walls each have single quatrefoils enclosed within roundels. Inner moulded arched doorway with continuous impost bands. Over the porch is a single arched 3 light window with cusped tracery and continuous hood mould. In the apex is a single small rectangular blind recessed panel. The north aisle has 6 pairs of arched lights. In the clerestory are 3 windows each with 3 arched lights surmounted by a single cusped circle. To the left of the aisle is the organ chamber. In the east wall is a single lancet. Further left and set back is the vestry with chamfered band over the plinth which extends around the chancel and chapel. Single pair of lancets in the east wall. The north chancel has a single pair of tall lancets with continuous hood mould which extends to the east chancel and chapel. The east wall has a further band over the chamfered band, this extends to the south chapel forming a hood mould over the doorway. East chancel has 3 lancets, the single central lancet being taller. The east chapel has a single window comprising 3 lancets. South chapel has 2 pairs of lancets, to the left is a pointed chamfered arched doorway with moulded arch over supported onsingle colonnettes with moulded capitals. Further left is a single similar pair of lancets. In the west apex is a single circular light. The south aisle with chamfered sill band has 8 pairs of lights as the north aisle with a single similar pair of lights in the west wall. Clerestory with 4 windows as north clerestory. All windows apart from the east chancel and east chapel have flush ashlar quoin surrounds. Interior. 4 bay south nave and 3 bay north nave arcades with circular columns and responds and moulded capitals and arches with hood moulds. Moulded nave/tower arch with hood mould and screen, moulded north aisle/tower arch with screen. Moulded chancel arch, the inner order supported on sections of 3 engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals, in turn supported on corbels. Continuous impost bands. Over are 3 lancets, the single central lancet being taller. Moulded north aisle/organ chamber arch. Moulded south aisle/south chapel arch with screen. Chancel/south chapel 3 bay arcade. Moulded arches are supported on quatrefoil piers and responds with moulded capitals. Each arcade is sub-divided by a single colonnette with moulded capital supporting 2 trefoil arched openings with single open trefoils over. Moulded arched doorway to vestry. All nave and aisle windows apart from the west nave with continuous sill bands. West entrance with inner wood and glass porch. C19 and C20 furniture with ashlar pulpit and octagonal font decorated with blind traceried panels. To the right of the chancel arch is a brass plaque to Anne Ballard, 1626, this is decorated with an incised figure in contemporary dress flanked by single shields. Some C19 monuments. Single stained glass windows in south wall of south aisle by H. Hughes, 1875 and Guthrie, 1893.

Listing NGR: SK6447039221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431146
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13389/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].