Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 19:07:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 78907 16289


The following building shall be added:


326-/3/10007 Church of St Andrew II

Anglican church, 1834, by Welsh of Birmingham, with early C20 alterations and additions. Regularly coursed, squared gritstone and ashlar gritstone, with ashlar dressings beneath a Welsh slate roof covering. Patron William Grant, and erected originally for Presbyterian worship which ceased in 1869. North-west tower with a lean-to porch to each side, wide nave without aisle arcades, and shallow polygonal apse to south-east end tower, square on plan, of two stages, above a basement. Polygonal buttresses, surmounted by squat pinnacles with stepped pyramidal caps. Shallow crenellated parapets link the pinnacles. North-west tower elevation with tall two-light lancet with deeply chamfered reveal, and 'Y' tracery joinery, interrupted by ashlar panel with blind quatrefoil. Hood mould to window head with plain stops. Plain smaller lancet above, with deeply chamfered reveal. First stage terminates at moulded string course penetrated by surround of diagonally-set clock face. Bell stage with tall louvred lancet of two lights, with deeply chamfered reveal, all below a hood mould. Lean-to lower porches with plain shallow parapets, stepped angle buttresses, and single lancets to end walls. Side wall entrances with steeply-arched heads and deeply chamfered reveals, quoined surrounds, and hood moulds with shield stops. Pointed arch- headed door with blind tracery to middle panels and 'Y' tracery to door head. Rectangular wall plaque above door head with coat of arms of the Grant family, the date of 1834 and the motto "CRAIG ELACHIE". North-east side wall of five bays, rising from a shallow chamfered plinth, the bays defined by stepped buttresses. The ends of the nave are defined by polygonal buttresses, which rise above eaves level, with tapering pinnacles with foliage finials. Each bay has a tall lancet window set within a deeply chamfered reveal, and with 'Y' traceried joinery. Plain corbel table, below shallow plain parapet. Shallow pentagonal apse, added early C20, replacing seven-light south- east window. Plain lancet to each apse facet. Interior retains original benches, with later covers to panelled backs, choir stalls with reading desk with open arcaded fronts. Octagonal pulpit of timber set on stone stem, relocated against north-east wall, and altar rail, both late C19. Reredos of 1920 in apse, with 3 late C20 stained glass windows, the central one depicting St Andrew. Gallery to north-west end, supported on two octagonal columns. Panelled front to gallery with cornice and top rail, blind arcading decoration to panels incorporates clock in centre, and lower cornice above wide-cusped blind arcading decoration below. Two access staircases from porches to gallery, each with stick balusters, turned newel posts, and access doorways with half glazed doors with margin lights. Seven wall monuments to the Grant family, industrialists involved in calico printing at Square Street Mill, Ramsbottom.

Listing NGR: SD7890716289


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02776/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].