CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1250925
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250925.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:22:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Claydon
National Grid Reference:
TM 13729 49846

Details

CLAYDON CHURCH LANE TM 14 NW 7/99 Church of St. Peter 9.12.55 I Redundant parish church; mediaeval, with major alterations in the Decorated Gothic style, 1852, by R.M. Phipson for Revd. G. Drury. The original building consists of nave, chancel, west tower and north porch. The alterations include virtual rebuilding of most chancel and vestry, and addition of transepts and organ chambers. Flint walls, mainly rendered, with limestone dressings; the rubble includes some moulded ashlar sections. At both west corners of the nave are exposed long-and-short quoins of C10 or C11. The C19 work is in uncoursed small flints. Plaintiled roofs with crested ridge tiles and parapet gables. Nave wallings probably has C11/C12 core including semi- circular rear-arch in south doorway. The east wall of the chancel and short return sections, have some early C14 work including east window. Tower added in C15, with some good detailing. The battlemented parapets have 7 original limestone statues (an 8th is missing). Flushwork panelled buttresses; traceried west window and door beneath. The tower retains its ringing floor, internal stair with original door, and single bell. North and south moulded nave doorways of C15; at the north is the original door. North and south C15 nave windows, the latter restored. C15 north porch; the doorway is complete but blocked, but parapets and square side windows badly decayed. The fabric of the C15 alterations, including tower, makes much use of concealed red brick. Late C15 nave roof in 3 bays of collar-beam trusses, the collar braces springing from shafts with moulded capitals; deep moulded cornice. Good octagonal limestone font of c.1400, with a sunk panelled stem and well-carved crowns, shields and heads. The C19 work includes richly-carved stonework, e.g. foliate corbels from which spring the crossing arches, and the piercea traceried pulpit. The chancel roof has heavy arch-braced principals, and the transept roofs are canted, boarded and ribbed with bosses (these and other joinery by Henry Ringham). Some stained glass figures in the C13 manner in the east window are believed made by Revd. Drury himself. Later C19 stained glass in several windows. The vestry, although mainly C19 work, seems to have a mediaeval cornice, also possibly some flint walling. In the chancel are 2 C18 floor slabs.

Listing NGR: TM1378749903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433454
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00316/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].