This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEWAY, 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF NETTLESTEAD CHACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEWAY, 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF NETTLESTEAD CHACE

List entry Number: 1250946

Location

GATEWAY, 60 METRES NORTH WEST OF NETTLESTEAD CHACE, HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nettlestead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETTLESTEAD HALL LANE TM 04 NE 6/129 Gateway, 60 metres north- west of Nettlestead Chace 9.12.55 - II Gateway, late C16. Probably the surviving fragment of a wall once surrounding the base court of Nettlestead Hall (now known as Nettlestead Chace). In the C16 the manor was held by the Wentworth family; 2 shields in the spandrels of the archway bear the quarterings of Thomas, 2nd Lord Wentworth (1525-83) and his secona wife Anne (d.1571). The structure is about 5 metres high and wide, of plastered brick with well-carved but much-weathered dressings of limestone. The archway has a semi-circular head on moulded imposts and the spandrels are enriched with egg-and-dart moulding. On either side is a Roman Doric pilaster on a square plinth carved with a diamond motif. These support an entablature with a triangular pediment containing within the tympanum rich carving which has eroded away. The cornice above the pediments and the parapet were addea c.1800 when the surviving fragments of walling on either side were also remodelled. The pair of wrought iron gates are of C19 or C20. An etching by H. Davy made in 1823 shows the gateway with enrichment clearly shown. For photographs and illustrations of heraldry, Suffolk Houses: Sandon: 1977.

Listing NGR: TM0889749293

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TM 08897 49293

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:45:32.

End of official listing