PADDINGTON BRITISH RAIL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, EAST BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1250976
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
PADDINGTON BRITISH RAIL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, EAST BLOCK, 179, HARROW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PADDINGTON BRITISH RAIL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, EAST BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:32:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
PADDINGTON BRITISH RAIL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, EAST BLOCK, 179, HARROW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26305 81730

Details

WESTMINSTER

TQ2681NW HARROW ROAD 1900- /40/10043 No.179 Paddington British Rail Maintenance Depot, East Block

GV II*

Garage to the maintenance depot for road vehicles built for British Rail's Paddington Goods Yard in 1966-8 by Paul Hamilton of the firm Bicknell and Hamilton. Designed in 1964. Reinforced concrete comprising oval, single storey garaging with basement inspection pits. Coved shell concrete roof on dramatically arched cantilevered beams springing from side walls and central piers over clerestorey glazing. Concrete shell roof further pierced by portholes, giving a feel of light and space customary in. inter-war Scandanavian architecture. The resulting interior is dramatic, yet provided strong, even natural light for the maintenance of delivery vans. The building forms a pair with the workshops and office building (q.v.)

Sources Architectural Review, January 1965, p.90 Architects' Journal, 18/25 December 1968, pp.1465-75 Official Architecture and Planning, February 1969, p.151-7 Concrete, June 1974, p.35

Listing NGR: TQ2630581730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433540
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architects Journal' in 18 December, (1968), 1465-75
'Architectural Review' in January, (1965), 90
'Concrete' in June, (1974), 35
'Official Architecture and Planning' in February, (1969), 151-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10745/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Malaiperuman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].