BARHAM COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251014
Date first listed:
25-Jul-1952
Statutory Address:
BARHAM COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARHAM COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251014 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:21:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARHAM COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
Parish:
Teston
National Grid Reference:
TQ 70684 53661

Details

Barham Court TQ 75 SW TESTON 2/240 25.7.52 GV II*

House. Remodelled circa 1791-1792 by B.H. Latrobe (his first job). Largely rebuilt 1932-33 by Sir Herbert Baker after fire, except cross-wing, which may be by Latrobe. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980). Channelled render to cross-wing, plain render to main range. Slate roof. Double-depth main range running east-west. Cross-wing to west end, projecting slightly to north and south. 2 storeys on rendered plinth. Plat band, moulded to wing. Rusticated quoins to wing. Moulded rendered cornice and balustraded parapet. Roof of main range hipped to east with small bell cupola. Wing hipped to north and south. 11 rendered stacks. North elevation: irregular fenestration of 12 recessed sashes; four 12-pane to east half of main range; two 12-pane to west half over portico, flanking three round-headed sashes with moulded eared architraves, shouldered bases, and keystones. Three 12-pane sashes with thin glazing bars to cross-wing. 15-pane sashes to ground floor. Single-storey stuccoed portico with moulded cornice on four pairs of Ionic columns to west half of main range. Central section of portico infilled to form porch, containing panelled double doors with semi-circular fanlight, in eared round-headed architrave with achievements to keystone. West elevation of wing 3 bays. Conservatory attached to ground floor; stuccoed, on 2 moulded stone steps, with low plinth, moulded cornice, parapet, and paired engaged Ionic columns, Multipane glazing between columns and hipped glazed roof. South elevation: overlooking Medway valley. Twelve 12-pane sashes, and one 2-storey rendered and glazed porch with pedimented gable to west of centre. 2 single-storey pilastered rectangular bay windows with balustraded parapets. Service wing running north from east end of north elevation. Stuccoed. 2 low storeys, with plain parapet. Three 12-pane first-floor sashes and 3 round-headed ground-floor sashes. Returns to east to connect with north-west wing of stables. Interior: only partly inspected. Central east-west ground-floor corridor to wing, with rounded west end. Rooms to north and south of corridor with late C18 plaster friezes and ceilings. Enriched marble fireplace to each room. Main range with concrete floors, under-floor heating, and 3 ground-floor rooms decorated in an C18 style, with plaster cornices and ceilings. Eared round-headed door architraves. Entrance all with cantilevered staircase with turned balusters in an C18 style. William Wilberforce stayed frequently in late C18.

Listing NGR: TQ7068453661

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433580
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13025/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter John Laite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].