This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLAYDON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLAYDON HALL

List entry Number: 1251154

Location

CLAYDON HALL, HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Claydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433455

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAYDON HALL LANE TM 14 NW 7/100 Claydon Hall 9.12.55 - II House, formerly manor house. Mid C14 core with major alterations of early C17 and later. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered, partly encased in C19 painted brick; the early C17 parlour wing at left has some C18 herringbone pargetting. Plaintiled roofs; the parlour wing has an oversailing gable tie-beam and bargeboards, both billet-carved, with moulded pendant finials. An axial C17 chimney of red brick, of cross-quadrate form and another plain C17 chimney to right. Mainly mid C19 small-pane sashes. Glazed mid C19 6-panelled entrance door, recessed between Tuscan columns supporting a moulded cornice. The centre range of the house has a mid C14 crown-post roof of two 2.5 metre bays, with evidence for a 3rd. Two open trusses have octagonal crown-posts with scroll-moulded capitals, and straight braces originally on 4 sides. A closed truss has a corresponding semi-octagonal crownpost, and on what was originally the external gable is a section of early or original weather-boarding (a rare feature on a mediaeval building of this status). Little is left below roof level of C14 work, but there is some evidence that the upper floor is original. The smoke-blackening at roof level therefore implies the existence of an upper room with an open hearth. Cross- wings were added at either end of this range in the early C17, and staircase and garderobe-towers to the rear. To right is a short C18 service range and to left a C18 single-storey range in painted brick. The house stands within an incomplete homestead moat of C14 or earlier. The manor was held in the mid C14 by William de Cleydon (ante 1327) and by his son John (d.1350). The site is reputed to have formerly been occupied by a castle (East Anglian Miscallany, No.5632).

Listing NGR: TM1418249522

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Miscellany' in Number 5632, ()

National Grid Reference: TM 14182 49522

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:37:04.

End of official listing