9 AND 10, BAMPTON BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251204
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address:
9 AND 10, BAMPTON BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of 9 AND 10, BAMPTON BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:21:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
9 AND 10, BAMPTON BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Capel
National Grid Reference:
TQ 63180 44882

Details

TQ 64 SW CAPEL BAMPTON BANK

5/215 Nos 9 and 10

II

Pair of cottages built circa 1919 as a First World War memorial. Red brick with stone ashlar dressings; brick stacks and chimneyshafts; diaper tile roof.

Plan: Pair of mirror-plan cottages facing south east on a bank above the road. Overall T-plan building. In the main block each cottage has 2 rooms either side of a large axial stack serving back-to-back fireplaces. Each end are projecting gable-end stacks. In the centre each cottage has a one-room plan parlour projecting forward under parallel roofs.

Single storey.

Exterior: Symmetrical 1:2:1-window front of timber casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass, the front parlour ones are taller with mullions and transoms. The doorways are at the back of the outer walls of the front parlour wing (both contain replacement part-glazed doors),and are sheltered by flat roofed verandahs across the front of the main block and carried on brick piers. Main block roof is gable-ended. The front parlour wing has a double-gabled front end with stone coping and there is a stone band across the front at eaves level which is inscribed in Roman serif capitals "In memory of those who fell in the War, 1914-1918". Between the windows below are 3 plaques inscribed with the names of the dead of the parish and these are cleverly framed by the dividing iron rainwater drainpipes.

Interior: Not inspected.

This pair of attractive cottages make an unusual but useful war memorial.

Listing NGR: TQ6318044882



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 December 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433861
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 01/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/83299
War Memorials Register, accessed 01/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41277

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00698/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara Ingram-Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].