This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1251354



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Henley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HENLEY MAIN ROAD TM 15 SE 4/122 Walnut Tree Farmhouse - - II*

Farmhouse, built in 4 phases from mid C15 to mid C16. A large half-H plan house; the service range also projects at the rear. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roofs with C19 serpentine bargeboards. Axial chimneys of red brick; the central stack in the hall range has a C16 saw-tooth pattern shaft. Mainly C19 small-pane sash windows. 1-storey C20 entrance porch with plaintiled roof; panelled inner door. The construction phases are as follows:- 1. Part of a 2-bay C15 open hall now behind the service range. Tension-braced close-studwork and heavily smoke-blackened crown-pose roof. It originally had a further cell at the rear; the hall may have been kept on as a kitchen or bakehouse for the substantial house built in C16. 2. A 2-cell, 4 bay service range attached to the hall c.1500; plain but heavy framing, arch-braced close-studwork and unmoulded crownpost roof. Some blocked diamond-mullioned windows. This range was detached from the early C16 house and thus has windows which are now internal. 3. A solar cross-wing, coeval with, but detached from phase 2. A high quality structure. The 3-bay solar has very close studwork; the open trusses survive, but without the original crown posts. A blocked window has heavily moulded mullions, each light having a little arched head with sunk spandrels. This solar wing was attached to a hall range which was demolished to make room for phase 4. 4. This range was re-built c.1550-1570 and contains a hall and parlour of high quality, with back-to-back fireplaces. The parlour has roll-moulded beams and joists and blocked moulded mullioned windows. Wind-braced clasped- purlin roof. Attached to the rear wall of the house is a limestone headscone taken from a nearby meadow; it marked the grave of a horse which according to the epitaph served its master in several battles in Europe during the Napoleonic wars and evidently retired to this farm until its death. Included as Grade II* because a good example of the evolution of the house of a prosperous farmer from the C15 to C16.

Listing NGR: TM1558251808

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 15582 51808


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 05:28:59.

End of official listing