This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1251501



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chiselborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263533

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST4614 CHISELBOROUGH CP EAST STREET (North side) 11/78 Strapp Farmhouse (formerly listed as Strap Farmhouse) 19.4.61 GV II Detached farmhouse. C17 and C18, much modified. Ham stone near-ashlar, with ashlar dressings; mostly double Roman clay tiles, but one bay of Welsh slates between high stepped coped gables suggesting earlier thatch; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 5 bays. Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with labels to lower bays 1 4 and 5 of 3, 2 and 2-lights, elsewhere 3-light casement windows; of C20 pattern with toplight bay 1 and the 2-light casements to bay 2, to bay 3 and upper bays 4 and 5 of a C18 pattern, with external curl stays to iron framed opening lights: all windows rectangular leaded: between bays 1 and 2 a fully glazed C20 door under concrete lintol, up one step; between bays 3 and 4 a moulded triangular-arched doorway in rectangular recess with decorated spandrils, with initials GA to left and date 1576 to right, with boarded door up 2 steps. High in west gable a circular window; further single light ovolo-mould, window under hood in east gable. Outshut and other extensions to rear. Interior not seen, but reported is another datestone JG 1792 which refers to at least the north-west extension, and probably most of the rest of the surviving house - other than the doorway there is little sign of C16 work: one roof truss with tenoned purlins and apex, no ridge piece. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4700614695

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 47006 14695


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 11:52:45.

End of official listing