NETTLESTEAD CHACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251559

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: NETTLESTEAD CHACE, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETTLESTEAD CHACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:26:55.

Location

Statutory Address: NETTLESTEAD CHACE, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Nettlestead

National Grid Reference: TM 08956 49241

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETTLESTEAD HALL LANE TM 04 NE 6/128 Nettlestead Chace 9.12.55 - II House, formerly known as Nettlestead Hall. Virtually rebuilt c.1813-1819 for L.H. Moore, but retaining and remodelling a small fragment of the mansion of Thomas, 2nd Lord Wentworth (1523-1583). 2 storeys, 3 windows. Painted brick facaae with a moulded band at 1st floor and a slight set-back at the entrance bay and at the corners. Hipped slated roof with modillioned eaves soffit (the rear and internal slopes are plaintiled). External chimneys of gault brick and a large rear stack of red brick. Sash windows; those at ground floor have elliptical heads of gauged brick, and those at upper floor have cambered heads. Small-pane sashes, at ground floor having sidelights. A pair of panelled entrance doors; circular panels below, and glazed with small panes above. Greek Doric portico with columns and flat entablature. At the sides are areas of plastered timber-framed walling and painted C16 brickwork. A little heavy close-studding and other C16 timber-framing survives, and there is believed to be a large open fireplace and moulded plaster ceilings in two rooms, all now concealed. Until C20, a chamber had full C16 panelling, incorporating the Arms of Wentworth. Some interesting early C19 joinery including panelled architraves. For full history of the site: MANORS OF SUFFOLK: COPINGER. Suffolk Houses: Sandon:1977

Listing NGR: TM0895649241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433500

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Copinger, , Manors of Suffolk
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)

End of official listing